Information about Alendronic Acid
Alendronic acid uses
Alendronic Acid is used in the treatment of osteoporosis. It treats osteoporosis in postmenopausal women and men at high risk of fractures.
How alendronic acid works
Alendronic Acid is a bisphosphonate. It acts by suppressing the activity of osteoclasts, cells that cause the destruction of bone, thereby strengthening the bones and minimizing the risk of fractures.
Common side effects of alendronic acid
Musculoskeletal (bone, muscle or joint) pain, Headache, Heartburn, Difficulty in swallowing
Available Medicine for Alendronic Acid
- ₹54 to ₹177Cipla Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹96 to ₹147Troikaa Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹75Pulse Pharmaceuticals1 variant(s)
- ₹62 to ₹154Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹49 to ₹101Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹60 to ₹290Marc Laboratories Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹40Khandelwal Laboratories Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹125Zydus Cadila1 variant(s)
- ₹64 to ₹98CMG Pharmaceuticals2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Alendronic Acid
- Take Alendronic Acid in the morning on an empty stomach with water.
- Do not eat or drink for 30 minutes after taking Alendronic Acid.
- Maintain an upright posture for 30 minutes after taking Alendronic Acid.
- Inform your doctor if you experience pain in jaw, throat, chest, abdomen, hips or thighs.
- Inform your doctor if you are about to undergo any major dental procedures, as Alendronic Acid may need to be discontinued temporarily.
Frequently asked questions for Alendronic Acid
Q. Is alendronic acid safe/ dangerous/ a biphosphate/ a steroid/ vitamin D?
Alendronic acid belongs to class of medications called bisphosphonates. It is not a steroid or vitamin D. It is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Can I take ibuprofen/ paracetamol with alendronic acid?
Avoid taking alendronic acid with NSAIDs such as ibuprofen and paracetamol as it increases the gastrointestinal related side effects
Q. Does Alendronic Acid affect your teeth?
Alendronic Acid is not known to affect the teeth. However, bone damage in the jaw (osteonecrosis) generally associated with delayed healing and infection is known to occur following tooth extraction
Q. Does alendronic acid contain calcium/ vitamin D?
Alendronic acid does not contain calcium and vitamin D. You doctor may ask to take calcium or vitamin D
Q. Does Alendronic Acid cause cancer/ hair loss/ make you tired/ increase in blood pressure?
Alendronic Acid has a side effect of causing hair loss and tiredness. However, it is not known to cause cancer or increase in blood pressure. Consult your doctor if you experience such side effects.