Information about Alendronic Acid
Alendronic acid uses
Alendronic Acid is used in the treatment of osteoporosis. It treats osteoporosis in postmenopausal women and men at high risk of fractures.
How alendronic acid works
Alendronic Acid is a bisphosphonate. It works by suppressing the activity of osteoclasts, cells that cause destruction of bone. This strengthens the bones and minimizes the risk of fractures.
Common side effects of alendronic acid
Headache, Back pain, Musculoskeletal (bone, muscle or joint) pain, Indigestion, Heartburn, Diarrhea
Available Medicine for Alendronic Acid
- ₹54 to ₹214Cipla Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹96 to ₹178Troikaa Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹137Zydus Cadila1 variant(s)
- ₹62 to ₹154Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹97Taj Pharma India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹40Khandelwal Laboratories Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹49 to ₹101Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹153Globus Labs1 variant(s)
- ₹49Finecure Pharmaceuticals Ltd.1 variant(s)
- ₹75Pulse Pharmaceuticals1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Alendronic Acid
- Your doctor has prescribed Alendronic Acid to make your bones stronger and lower the risk of fractures.
- Take it in the morning at least 30 minutes before eating or drinking anything.
- Maintain an upright posture for 30 minutes after taking the medication so the medicine does not irritate your food pipe.
- It may cause the amount of calcium in your blood to fall. Take calcium-rich food in your diet and have regular blood tests to monitor the level of calcium in your blood.
- It is important to look after your mouth and teeth while you are taking this medicine. Have regular dental check-ups and inform your dentist about taking Alendronic Acid.
Frequently asked questions for Alendronic Acid
Q. How to take Alendronic Acid?
It should be taken in the morning after getting up on an empty stomach with a full glass of water. Do not lie down and stay fully upright for at least 30 minutes after swallowing the medicine. Avoid taking any food or medication for next 30 mins after taking this medicine. Consult your doctor before you start this medication and follow the instruction as given.
Q. Why can you not lie down after taking Alendronic Acid?
It is advised not to lie down after taking Alendronic Acid because the medication might come back up into the esophagus (food pipe). This can damage the esophagus. Staying upright will help the medicine to settle down quickly in your stomach and prevent from side effects like heartburn and pain.
Q. Does Alendronic Acid cause hair loss?
Yes, Alendronic Acid can cause hair loss, but this is not a common side effect. If you experience hair loss while taking this medication immediately report to your doctor and follow the advice given.
Q. Can Alendronic Acid be used in pregnant women?
Alendronic Acid should be avoided during pregnancy. There is a lack of data regarding the use of Alendronic Acid in pregnant women. You should consult your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to get pregnant before taking this medication.
Q. Does Alendronic Acid cause cancer/ hair loss/ make you tired/ increase in blood pressure?
Alendronic Acid has a side effect of causing hair loss and tiredness. However, it is not known to cause cancer or increase in blood pressure. Consult your doctor if you experience such side effects.