Information about Albendazole
Albendazole is used in the treatment of parasitic worm infections.
How albendazole works
Albendazole is an antiparasitic medication. It works by keeping the worms from absorbing sugar (glucose), thereby depleting their energy level. This causes the worms to die and treats your infection.
Common side effects of albendazole
Nausea, Vomiting, Dizziness, Loss of appetite, Increased liver enzymes
Available Medicine for Albendazole
- ₹8 to ₹18Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹8 to ₹17Alkem Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹8 to ₹17Mankind Pharma Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹10 to ₹24Cipla Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹7 to ₹17Blue Cross Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹10 to ₹17Indoco Remedies Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹7 to ₹17Juggat Pharma2 variant(s)
- ₹7 to ₹16Shine Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹8 to ₹17Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹75Palsons Derma1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Albendazole
- You have been prescribed Albendazole to treat a variety of parasitic worm infections.
- It should be taken with food.
- If you are unable to swallow the whole tablet, it may be crushed or chewed and swallowed with a full glass of water.
- It can be harmful to an unborn baby. Do not take it during pregnancy or breastfeeding. Use birth control measures to prevent pregnancy while taking Albendazole.
- Your doctor may monitor your blood counts and liver function before you start taking this medicine and regularly throughout your treatment.
- Avoid being near people who are sick or have infections. Inform your doctor if you develop signs of infection.
- Do not skip doses and finish the prescribed course, even if you start to feel better. Stopping it early may increase your risk of further infection.
Frequently asked questions for Albendazole
Q. Is Albendazole an antibiotic?
Albendazole is an antibiotic. It is an anthelmintic drug and is used in the treatment of many parasitic infections.
Q. What is Albendazole used for?
Albendazole is used for the treatment of infections caused by helminths (worms) like Enterobius vermicularis (pinworm/threadworm), Ascaris lumbricoides (roundworm), Ancylostoma duodenale and Necator americanus (hookworms), Trichuris trichiura (whipworm), Strongyloides stercoralis, animal hookworm larvae causing cutaneous larva migrans, and Opisthorchis viverrini (liver flukes) and Clonorchis sinensis. It is also indicated for the treatment of Hymenolepis nana and Taenia spp. (tapeworm) infections and has shown good activity against anaerobic protozoa like Giardia lamblia and Trichomonas vaginalis. Please consult your doctor before taking any treatment for worms as there could be many worms against which Albendazole would not be effective.
Q. How does Albendazole work?
Albendazole works by killing the larva and the adult form of the worm by inhibiting tubulin polymerization which causes energy depletion and decreases the mobility of the worm and hence kills the helminth.
Q. Can I take Albendazole with fluconazole?
Albendazole can be taken with fluconazole. No drug-drug interactions have been reported between the two. However, interactions can occur. Please consult your doctor before taking the two medicines together.
Q. Is Albendazole safe?
Albendazole is safe if taken for prescribed duration in prescribed doses as advised by your doctor.
Q. Is Albendazole effective for treating pinworms?
Albendazole is used for the treatment of pinworms (Enterobius vermicolaris). Albendazole is active against the larval and the adult stages. Consult your doctor before taking any medicines for worm infections.
Q. Is Albendazole an over the counter product?
Albendazole is not an over the counter (OTC) product. It is a prescription medicine.
Q. Is Albendazole safe in G6PD deficiency?
Albendazole is safe to use in people with G6PD deficiency. Please consult your doctor to know more about drugs which are to be avoided in G6PD deficient people.
Q. Does Albendazole kill tapeworms?
Albendazole is active against tapeworms like Hymenolepis nana and Taenia spp. Please consult your doctor before taking any medicine for these worm infestations.
Q. Does Albendazole cause diarrhoea?
Diarrhoea is an uncommon side effect of Albendazole. Please consult your doctor if you experience diarrhea after taking Albendazole.
Q. Does Albendazole work?
Albendazole works if taken for prescribed duration in prescribed doses as advised by your doctor.
Q. Is Albendazole useful in the treatment of scabies?
Albendazole is not used for the treatment of scabies. If you think you are suffering from scabies, please consult your doctor as it requires proper diagnosis and treatment.
Q. Does Albendazole treat Giardia?
Albendazole can be used to treat giardiasis. It has shown activity against anaerobic protozoa like Giardia lamblia and Trichomonas vaginalis. Please consult your doctor if you think you are suffering from giardiasis as it requires proper diagnosis and treatment.
Q. Does Albendazole kill eggs?
Albendazole does not kill the eggs of the worms. It acts against the larva and the adult form of the worms.