Content created by
Herpes Simplex Virus 2 DNA PCR
(HSV 2 DNA PCR)
You need to provide
This test is for
What is Herpes Simplex Virus 2 DNA PCR?
Herpes Simplex Virus 2 DNA PCR is used to detect HSV-2 in the blood through PCR(Polymerase Chain Reaction technique. PCR detects the genetic material, DNA of the virus.Herpes Simplex Virus 1 (HSV-1) is the main cause of cold sores that is transmitted through oral route.
Why is HSV 2 DNA PCR done?
- When symptoms of herpes appear, including genital sores, fever, etc.
- To diagnose herpes if symptoms of encephalitis or meningitis appear, especially if they appear after a suspected exposure to HSV 2 or after other symptoms of herpes
- To screen and diagnose infection of the Herpes Simplex Virus 2
- To distinguish an HSV infection from a Varicella zoster infection
- To distinguish an HSV 1 infection from a HSV 2 infection
Frequently Booked Together