Cholesterol - LDL in Ghaziabad
Understanding Cholesterol - LDL in Ghaziabad
What is Cholesterol - LDL in Ghaziabad?
A Cholesterol - LDL test is a blood test that measures the levels of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) in the body. This test is done to evaluate your cardiovascular health, especially when you have risk factors, such as obesity, diabetes, and high blood pressure. It is also done as part of a routine health checkup or a lipid profile.
What does Cholesterol - LDL measure?
A Cholesterol - LDL test measures the concentration of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol in the blood. LDL cholesterol plays an important role in your body. It carries cholesterol from your liver to other parts of the body where it's needed for things like building cell walls and making hormones. However, it is often referred to as "bad" cholesterol because when present in excess in your blood, it can stick to your blood vessel walls leading to the formation of plaque, making them narrow and less flexible. When this happens, it's harder for the blood to flow, which can lead to heart problems, like heart attacks and strokes. By measuring LDL cholesterol levels, your doctor can assess your risk of developing cardiovascular diseases and can recommend appropriate preventive or treatment strategies.
Answers to Patient Concerns & Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Cholesterol - LDL in Ghaziabad
Frequently Asked Questions about Cholesterol - LDL in Ghaziabad
Q. What is a Cholesterol - LDL test?
Q. Why is it important to get a Cholesterol - LDL test done?
Q. How can I lower my LDL cholesterol levels?
Q. Is fasting required for an LDL cholesterol test?
Q. What is meant by “good” and “bad” cholesterol?
- Wolska A, Remaley AT. Measuring LDL-cholesterol: what is the best way to do it? Curr Opin Cardiol. 2020 Jul.; 35(4):405-411. [Accessed 16 Jul. 2023]. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7360339/
- Gofman JW, Lindgren F. The role of lipids and lipoproteins in atherosclerosis. Science. 1950 Feb. 17; 111(2877):166-71. [Accessed 16 Jul. 2023]. Available from: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15403115/
- Law MR, Wald NJ, Rudnicka AR. Quantifying effect of statins on low density lipoprotein cholesterol, ischaemic heart disease, and stroke: systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ. 2003 Jun. 28; 326(7404):1423. [Accessed 16 Jul. 2023]. Available from: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12829554/
- Grundy SM, Stone NJ, Bailey AL, et al. AHA/ACC/AACVPR/AAPA/ABC/ACPM/ADA/AGS/APhA/ASPC/NLA/PCNA Guideline on the Management of Blood Cholesterol: Executive Summary: A Report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2019 Jun. 25; 73(24):3168-3209. [Accessed 16 Jul. 2023]. Available from: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30423391/
- Nauck M, Russell Warnick G, Rifai N. Methods for Measurement of LDL-Cholesterol: A Critical Assessment of Direct Measurement by Homogeneous Assays versus Calculation, Clinical Chemistry. 2002 Feb. 01; 48(2):236-254 https://academic.oup.com/clinchem/article/48/2/236/5641549