Information about Zopiclone
Zopiclone is used in the treatment of insomnia.
How zopiclone works
Zopiclone belongs to a group of medicines called sedative-hypnotics. It works by slowing activity of the nerve cells in the brain and helps fall asleep.
Common side effects of zopiclone
Sleepiness, Dizziness, Uncoordinated body movements, Memory impairment, Nervousness, Dry mouth, Loss of appetite
Available Medicine for Zopiclone
- ₹86Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹36FDC Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹48Bal Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹46Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹45Zee Laboratories1 variant(s)
- ₹46Unichem Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Zopiclone
- Take the tablet before going to bed in order to have an uninterrupted sleep for 7-8 hours.
- Tell your doctor if you are having rare hereditary problems of galactose intolerance, the Lapp lactase deficiency or glucose-galactose malabsorption.
- Zopiclone should be used with caution in the elderly, patients with liver, kidney and respiratory insufficiency.
- Do not use for more than 4 weeks because it may lead to loss of some efficacy.
- Do not suddenly withdraw the use of zopiclone. You should first lower the dose and then stop taking this medicine over a period of time as directed by your doctor. Use of alcohol and other psychotropics should be avoided when you are on zopiclone therapy.
- Do not use zopiclone if you have history of alcohol/drug abuse, marked personality disorders, any other psychiatric or paradoxical reactions.
- Zopiclone may affect your concentration and judgement. So, do not drive or operate machinery till you feel fine.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Zopiclone
Q. Is Zopiclone safe to take?
Zopiclone is safe if used at prescribed dose and duration as advised by your doctor.Please follow your doctor's advice regarding its use
Q. Is Zopiclone a benzodiazepine/narcotic/sedative?
Zopiclone is a sedative hypnotic and not a benzodiazepine/narcotic
Q. Is Zopiclone addictive?
Zopiclone is not addictive if used at prescribed dose and duration as advised by your doctor. However, consult your doctor if you develop addiction for Zopiclone
Q. Is Zopiclone like Valium?
Zopiclone is hypnotic drug different from Valium (diazepam) which belongs to group of medicines called benzodiazepines
Q. How long can I take Zopiclone for?
Patient can take Zopiclone for 4 weeks. However, it depends upon disease condition. Please follow your doctor's advice regarding its use
Q. Can I take zopiclone with mirtazapine/ sertraline/temazepam/ lorazepam/ Cymbalta (duloxetine)/ Xanax (alprazolam)/ tramadol?
Zopiclone in combination with mirtazapine/ sertraline/temazepam/ lorazepam/ Cymbalta (duloxetine)/ Xanax (alprazolam)/ tramadol may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Please follow your doctor's advice regarding its use
Q. Can I take zopiclone with beta blockers/ paracetamol/prednisolone?
Zopiclone can be taken in combination with beta blockers/ paracetamol/prednisolone as it does not cause any harmful reaction. Please follow your doctor's advice regarding its use
Q. Does Zopiclone reduce anxiety/relax you?
Zopiclone is used to treat insomnia (inability to sleep) which may reduce anxiety and help you to relax
Q. Does Zopiclone cause constipation/headache/high blood pressure/cancer/nausea/put on weight?
These side effects are rare or uncommon with Zopiclone use. Consult your doctor immediately if you experience one or more such symptoms and stop taking Zopiclone immediately.