Information about Zafirlukast
Zafirlukast is used in asthma prevention.
How zafirlukast works
Zafirlukast works by blocking the action of leukotriene. It lowers inflammation in the airways and nose to prevent asthma.
Common side effects of zafirlukast
Headache, Infection, Nausea, Diarrhoea, Pain, Weakness
Available Medicine for Zafirlukast
- ₹40 to ₹61Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Zafirlukast
- Take it in the evening for better control of asthma or allergies symptoms.
- Relatively safe medicine with very few side effects.
- Take Zafirlukast 2 hours before exercising if you have exercise-induced asthma.
- Will not work for sudden wheezing or asthma attacks once they start. Always carry a fast-acting (rescue) inhaler with you.
- Not as effective as steroid inhalers for asthma.
- Do not discontinue use without consulting your doctor even if you feel better.
Frequently asked questions for Zafirlukast
Q. Is zafirlukast an antihistamine or a steroid or a blood thinner?
Zafirlukast is leukotriene receptor antagonist used to relieve difficulty in breathing during asthma
Q. Does Singulair contain Zafirlukast?
No. Singulair is proprietary (brand) name for montelukast drug, a leukotriene receptor blocker similar to Zafirlukast
Q. Is Zafirlukast gluten free?
Yes. Zafirlukast is gluten free. However, please refer to package insert of the prescribed brand before use
Q. Does Zafirlukast cause weight gain?
Zafirlukast has not been reported to cause weight gain.