Information about Zafirlukast
Zafirlukast is used in asthma prevention.
How zafirlukast works
Zafirlukast works by blocking the action of leukotriene. It lowers inflammation in the airways and nose to prevent asthma.
Common side effects of zafirlukast
Headache, Infection, Nausea, Diarrhea, Pain, Weakness
Available Medicine for Zafirlukast
- ₹40 to ₹61Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Zafirlukast
- You have been prescribed Zafirlukast for asthma prevention and for the treatment of allergy symptoms such as sneezing and runny nose.
- Take it on an empty stomach at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after meals.
- It is a relatively safe medicine with very few side effects.
- Take Zafirlukast 2 hours before exercising if you have exercise-induced asthma.
- It does not work right away and should not be used to relieve sudden breathing problems. Use your rescue inhaler to control sudden difficulty in breathing.
- Do not discontinue use without consulting your doctor, even if you feel better.
Frequently asked questions for Zafirlukast
Q. Is zafirlukast an antihistamine or a steroid or a blood thinner?
Zafirlukast is leukotriene receptor antagonist used to relieve difficulty in breathing during asthma
Q. Does Singulair contain Zafirlukast?
No. Singulair is proprietary (brand) name for montelukast drug, a leukotriene receptor blocker similar to Zafirlukast
Q. Is Zafirlukast gluten free?
Yes. Zafirlukast is gluten free. However, please refer to package insert of the prescribed brand before use
Q. Does Zafirlukast cause weight gain?
Zafirlukast has not been reported to cause weight gain.