Yellow Fever Vaccine
Yellow fever vaccine is used to prevent a serious viral infection called yellow fever in travelers specially travelling to or staying in endemic areas like South America or Africa.
How it works
Yellow fever vaccine belongs to a group of drugs called vaccines. It contains partially inactivated virus that interact with the immune system and produces antibodies which would be available in the body to protect against the yellow fever virus.
Common side effects
Facial swelling, Allergic reaction, Hives, Shortness of breath, Convulsion, Fatigue, Fever, Headache, Itching, Loss of consciousness, Feeling of discomfort, Muscle pain, Renal failure, Respiratory arrest, Weakness
AVAILABLE MEDICINENo medicine available
• Seek emergency medical attention if you experience unusual symptoms such as a high fever, behavioral changes, allergic reactions or flu-like symptoms.
• Inform your doctor if you notice difficulty in breathing, hoarseness or wheezing, paleness, weakness, a fast heartbeat, dizziness, severe allergic reactions within a few minutes to a few hours after the shot
• Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding
• Should not be given to patients with history of severe allergic reactions to yellow fever vaccine or allergic to eggs or chicken proteins.
• Should not be given to patients with a weakened immune system such as illness or medical treatment.
• Should not be given to patients with HIV infection or with active symptoms related to HIV infection.
• Should not be given to patient with acute infection or current illness with high temperature.
• Should not be given to patients with history of thymus gland disorders or who have their thymus gland removed.
• Should not be given to infants under 6 months of age.
Frequently asked questions
Yellow Fever Vaccine
Q. Can yellow fever vaccine make you sick?
Yes, low grade fever may last up to 5-10 days after shot.
Q. Does yellow fever vaccine affect fertility?
No, yellow fever vaccine is not known to impair fertility and has no known effects on birth control. Please consult your doctor immediately if any side effects are observed after taking the vaccine.
Q. Is yellow fever vaccine safe?
Yes, yellow fever vaccine is relatively safe if used as recommended. In case of any side-effects, please consult your doctor.