Information about Vincristine
Vincristine is used in the treatment of breast cancer, non-small cell lung cancer, pancreatic cancer, kidney cancer, blood cancer, multiple myeloma, lymphomas and bone cancer.
How vincristine works
Vincristine blocks replication of genetic material (DNA) in the cancer cells. Thus it stops the growth and multiplication of cancer cells.
Common side effects of vincristine
Hair loss, Peripheral neuropathy (tingling and numbness of feet and hand), Constipation
Available Medicine for Vincristine
- ₹48Celon Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹49Biochem Pharmaceutical Industries1 variant(s)
- ₹44 to ₹53Cipla Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹55United Biotech Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹52Biochem Pharmaceutical Industries1 variant(s)
- ₹49Neon Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹105Vhb Life Sciences Inc1 variant(s)
- ₹89Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹51Alkem Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹51Chandra Bhagat Pharma Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Vincristine
- Vincristine is given as a drip in the vein under the supervision of a doctor.
- Do not skip any dose and complete the course as suggested by your doctor.
- Use an effective method of birth control to avoid pregnancy while taking this medication.
- Your doctor may get regular blood tests done to monitor your blood cell count, platelet count and liver function.
- Inform your doctor if you experience skin rash, swelling of face or lips and trouble breathing.
Frequently asked questions for Vincristine
Q. Is Vincristine cardiotoxic/ototoxic?
Vincristine when used in combination with other drugs has shown to be cardiotoxic/ototoxic with unknown cause
Q. Is Vincristine an alkylating agent/ an anthracycline?
Vincristine is vinca alkaloid and not an alkylating agent/ an anthracycline
Q. Is Vincristine a vesicant?
Vincristine is a vesicant (irritant) and can cause damage to the blood vessels if it is not administered properly
Q. Is Vincristine non DNA binding?
Vincristine does not bind to DNA
Q. Is Vincristine neuropathy reversible?
Vincristine neuropathy is not reversible
Q. Is Vincristine FDA approved?
Vincristine is a FDA approved medication
Q. Is Vincristine cytotoxic?
Vincristine is a cytotoxic drug
Q. Does Vincristine cause hair loss/infertility/ lower blood counts/ neutropenia/ neuropathy/ fever/ nausea?
These side effects are commonly observed with the use of Vincristine drug
Q. How does Vincristine affect mitosis?
Vincristine works by interfering with the growth of cancer cells (mitotic inhibition) and slows their spread in the body by causing an arrest of cell division in metaphase
Q. Where does Vincristine come from?
Vincristine is a plant alkaloid comes from the source called Vinca rosea Linn.