Vincristine is used in the treatment of breast cancer, non-small cell lung cancer, pancreatic cancer, kidney cancer, blood cancer, multiple myeloma, lymphomas and bone cancer.
How it works
Vincristine blocks replication of genetic material (DNA) in the cancer cells. Thus it stops the growth and multiplication of cancer cells.
Common side effects
Hair loss, Peripheral neuropathy (tingling and numbness of feet and hand), Constipation
- ₹50Celon Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹52Biochem Pharmaceutical Industries1 variant(s)
- ₹42 to ₹57Cipla Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹48Biochem Pharmaceutical Industries1 variant(s)
- ₹69Parenteral Drugs India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹105Vhb Life Sciences Inc1 variant(s)
- ₹51Alkem Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹61Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹48Neon Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹89Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- Avoid being near people suffering from infections (such as, cold, flu, contagious illnesses), as you may be more susceptible to infections, while on vincristine therapy, because of possibility of leukopenia.
- Avoid even accidental contamination of eyes with vincristine as it may cause severe irritation.
- Vincristine may cause acute kidney disease (nephropathy) related to uric acid level.
- Care should be taken in elderly patients because they are more susceptible to neurotoxic effects of vincristine.
- In males, vincristine may cause aspermia (lack of semen causing infertility); in females vincristine may cause amenorrhea (absence of menstruation), which may recover after some duration.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Is vincristine cardiotoxic/ototoxic?
Vincristine when used in combination with other drugs has shown to be cardiotoxic/ototoxic with unknown cause
Q. Is vincristine an alkylating agent/ an anthracycline?
Vincristine is vinca alkaloid and not an alkylating agent/ an anthracycline
Q. Is vincristine a vesicant?
Vincristine is a vesicant (irritant) and can cause damage to the blood vessels if it is not administered properly
Q. Is vincristine non DNA binding?
Vincristine does not bind to DNA
Q. Is vincristine neuropathy reversible?
Vincristine neuropathy is not reversible
Q. Is vincristine FDA approved?
Vincristine is a FDA approved medication
Q. Is vincristine cytotoxic?
Vincristine is a cytotoxic drug
Q. Does vincristine cause hair loss/infertility/ lower blood counts/ neutropenia/ neuropathy/ fever/ nausea?
These side effects are commonly observed with the use of vincristine drug
Q. How does vincristine affect mitosis?
Vincristine works by interfering with the growth of cancer cells (mitotic inhibition) and slows their spread in the body by causing an arrest of cell division in metaphase
Q. Where does vincristine come from?
Vincristine is a plant alkaloid comes from the source called Vinca rosea Linn.