Information about Vildagliptin
Vildagliptin is used in the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus. It is used along with diet and exercise to improve blood sugar control in adults with type 2 diabetes.
How vildagliptin works
Vildagliptin is an antidiabetic medication. It works by increasing the release of insulin from the pancreas and decreasing the hormones that raise blood sugar levels. This reduces the fasting and postmeal sugar levels.
Common side effects of vildagliptin
Headache, Common cold, Cough, Constipation, Dizziness, Sweating, Hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar level) in combination with insulin or sulphonylurea
Available Medicine for Vildagliptin
- ₹396 to ₹425Abbott2 variant(s)
- ₹386 to ₹387Cipla Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹299 to ₹598Novartis India Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹126Natco Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹297 to ₹387USV Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹105Vivifi Life Sciences1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Vildagliptin
- Vildagliptin should be taken at same time every day since this helps you remember to take it.
- It may cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar level) when used with other antidiabetic medicines, alcohol or if you delay or miss a meal.
- Always carry some sugary food or fruit juice with you in case you experience hypoglycemia symptoms such as cold sweats, cool pale skin, tremor, and anxiety.
- Be careful while driving or operating machinery until you know how Vildagliptin affects you.
- Your doctor may check your kidney and liver function before starting treatment and regularly thereafter. Inform your doctor if you develop symptoms such as abdominal pain, fatigue, loss of appetite, darkened urine or yellowing of the eyes or skin (jaundice).
Frequently asked questions for Vildagliptin
Q. When should I take Vildagliptin?
You can take Vildagliptin tablets before, during or after meals. If you have been prescribed to take this medicine once daily, then take it in the morning. In case you have to take it twice daily, then you should prefer taking the first dose in the morning and the second dose in the evening.
Q. Does Vildagliptin cause hypoglycemia?
Yes, Vildagliptin does cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), but the chances are lesser as compared to other anti-diabetic drugs. Evidence suggests that treatment with Vildagliptin has been shown to cause hypoglycemia in very rare cases. Even the patients who are prone to hypoglycemia like elderly patients or patients treated with insulin have a decreased risk of hypoglycemia with Vildagliptin. However, the chance of hypoglycemia increases if Vildagliptin is taken along with other anti-diabetic drugs.
Q. Does Vildagliptin cause weight gain?
No, Vildagliptin does not cause weight gain. Studies have found that Vildagliptin is weight neutral and does not seem to cause weight gain when taken alone. Moreover, medicines, such as Vildagliptin, are generally supposed to decrease weight since they act by increasing satiety (feeling of fullness) and delaying emptying of the stomach. This further decreases the hunger, restricting the patient from eating more than required.
Q. Is Vildagliptin the same as sitagliptin?
No, Vildagliptin is not the same as sitagliptin, but both drugs belong to the same class. Additionally, these two drugs have a similar mechanism of decreasing the blood glucose levels. However, Vildagliptin when given twice daily is marginally better in controlling blood sugar when compared to sitagliptin which is given once daily.