Information about Vigabatrin
Vigabatrin is used in the treatment of epilepsy/seizures and Infantile spasms.
How Vigabatrin works
Vigabatrin is a an antiepileptic medication. It works by increasing the action of a chemical messenger (GABA) which suppresses the abnormal and excessive activity of the nerve cells in the brain.
Common side effects of Vigabatrin
Aggressive behavior, Altered walking, Blurred vision, Dizziness, Double vision, Joint pain, Memory impairment, Nystagmus (involuntary eye movement), Tiredness, Tremor, Upper respiratory tract infection, Weight gain
Available Medicine for Vigabatrin
Expert advice for Vigabatrin
- Take your medication regularly as directed by your doctor as missing doses can trigger seizures.
- Do not change the brand of your medicine and make sure that you have sufficient amount of medicine present with you.
- Some healthy tips to prevent seizures:
- Take a healthy diet along with regular exercise.
- Practice yoga every day.
- Get enough sleep at nighttime.
- Limit the use of screen time such as a mobile/ laptop.
- Take your medication on time.
- It may cause drowsiness. Do not drive or do anything that requires mental focus until you know how it affects you.
- This medicine can cause visual problems. Your doctor will check your eyesight before you start treatment and regularly thereafter. Inform your doctor immediately if you notice any change in your eyesight.
- Do not stop taking the medication suddenly without talking to your doctor first.