Information about Valsartan
Valsartan is used in the treatment of increased blood pressure , heart failure, heart attack and diabetic kidney disease.
How valsartan works
Valsartan relaxes the blood vessels which lowers the blood pressure and also reduces the workload of the heart. As a result, the heart works more efficiently.
Common side effects of valsartan
Fatigue, Weakness, Orthostatic hypotension (sudden lowering of blood pressure on standing), Dizziness, Anemia, Vertigo, Renal impairment, Increased potassium level in blood.
Available Medicine for Valsartan
- ₹71 to ₹247Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹266 to ₹440Novartis India Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹73 to ₹175Lupin Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹69 to ₹130Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Valsartan
- Valsartan may cause dizziness and lightheadedness. To avoid this, take the Valsartan at bedtime, drink plenty of water and get up slowly after sitting or lying down.
- Avoid driving, if you feel dizzy after consuming Valsartan.
- Avoid taking potassium supplements and potassium-rich foods such as banana and broccoli.
- Notify your doctor immediately if you are or planning to become pregnant.
- Valsartan should be discontinued a day prior to the scheduled surgery.
Frequently asked questions for Valsartan
Q. Is valsartan an ace inhibitor, beta blocker, statin, blood thinner, or ARB?
Valsartan is not an ace inhibitor, beta blocker, statin, or blood thinner drug. It is an angiotensin-II receptor blocker (ARB)
Q. Is valsartan the same as Diovan?
Yes, Diovan is the brand name for valsartan
Q. Is valsartan generic?
Yes, valsartan is a generic drug
Q. Can I take valsartan with Tylenol (acetaminophen), Viagra (sildenafil), Advil (ibuprofen) or amlodipine?
Valsartan should not be given with Advil. It is not reported to interact with Tylenol, Viagra, or amlodipine. Please follow the advice of the doctor regarding their simultaneous use
Q. Does valsartan cause weight gain, cough, dry mouth, insomnia, itching, hair loss, erectile dysfunction (ED), or lower heart rate?
Valsartan may cause cough, weight gain, erectile dysfunction, or lower heart rate. It generally not been shown to cause dry mouth, insomnia, itching, or hair loss. Please consult your doctor if you experience these side effects
Q. Is valsartan safe?
Valsartan is relatively safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor.