Information about Valsartan
Valsartan is used in the treatment of high blood pressure. Decreasing high blood pressure lowers the risk of heart attack and stroke.
How valsartan works
Valsartan is an angiotensin receptor blocker (ARB). It works by blocking the hormone angiotensin thereby relaxing blood vessels, allowing the blood to flow more smoothly and the heart to pump more efficiently.
Common side effects of valsartan
Dizziness, Back pain, Sinus inflammation, Increased potassium level in blood
Available Medicine for Valsartan
- ₹78 to ₹272Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹266 to ₹440Novartis India Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹80 to ₹193Lupin Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹45 to ₹118Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹113AstraZeneca1 variant(s)
- ₹69 to ₹130Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Valsartan
- Valsartan can be taken with or without food but preferably be taken at the same time of the day.
- It is best to take the first dose before bed to reduce symptomatic hypotension.
- Valsartan may cause the level of potassium in blood to go up. Avoid taking potassium supplements and potassium-rich foods such as banana and broccoli.
- Inform your doctor immediately if you have rapid swelling of the lips, tongue, and throat that may affect breathing.
- Inform your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with kidney or liver problems.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to conceive or breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Valsartan
Q. Is Valsartan an ace inhibitor, beta blocker, statin, blood thinner, or ARB?
Valsartan is not an ace inhibitor, beta blocker, statin, or blood thinner drug. It is an angiotensin-II receptor blocker (ARB)
Q. Is Valsartan the same as Diovan?
Yes, Diovan is the brand name for Valsartan
Q. Is Valsartan generic?
Yes, Valsartan is a generic drug
Q. Can I take valsartan with Tylenol (acetaminophen), Viagra (sildenafil), Advil (ibuprofen) or amlodipine?
Valsartan should not be given with Advil. It is not reported to interact with Tylenol, Viagra, or amlodipine. Please follow the advice of the doctor regarding their simultaneous use
Q. Does Valsartan cause weight gain, cough, dry mouth, insomnia, itching, hair loss, erectile dysfunction (ED), or lower heart rate?
Valsartan may cause cough, weight gain, erectile dysfunction, or lower heart rate. It generally not been shown to cause dry mouth, insomnia, itching, or hair loss. Please consult your doctor if you experience these side effects
Q. Is Valsartan safe?
Valsartan is relatively safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor.