Information about Ursodeoxycholic Acid
Ursodeoxycholic acid uses
Ursodeoxycholic Acid is used in the treatment of cholestatic liver diseases, alcoholic fatty liver disease and non-alcoholic fatty liver.
How ursodeoxycholic acid works
Ursodeoxycholic acid is a bile acid, a substance naturally produced by the body that is stored in the gallbladder. It works by decreasing the production of cholesterol and by dissolving the cholesterol in bile so that it cannot form stones..
Common side effects of ursodeoxycholic acid
Nausea, Rash, Hair loss, Itching, Abdominal pain, Diarrhoea
Available Medicine for Ursodeoxycholic Acid
- ₹140 to ₹394Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹164 to ₹432Abbott3 variant(s)
- ₹96 to ₹421Zydus Cadila5 variant(s)
- ₹134 to ₹306Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹111 to ₹237Lupin Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹118 to ₹299Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹113 to ₹224Zuventus Healthcare Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹73 to ₹248Alkem Laboratories Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹130 to ₹229Franco-Indian Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹407 to ₹631Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Ursodeoxycholic Acid
- Ursodeoxycholic Acid should be taken preferably after meals.
- Do not take antacids that contain aluminum while you are taking the Ursodeoxycholic Acid. This is because antacids decrease the amount of Ursodeoxycholic Acid absorbed by the body.
- Notify your doctor if you are breast-feeding.
Frequently asked questions for Ursodeoxycholic Acid
Q. What is Ursodeoxycholic Acid?
Ursodeoxycholic Acid is a bile acid, a chemical substance present naturally in the body and it helps to control the amount of cholesterol in the blood. It is used to dissolve gallstones in a functioning gallbladder.
Q. Is Ursodeoxycholic Acid safe?
Ursodeoxycholic Acid is generally well tolerated and safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your physician/ doctor.
Q. How does Ursodeoxycholic Acid work for primary biliary cirrhosis?
Ursodeoxycholic Acid works for primary biliary cirrhosis by decreasing the production of cholesterol and by dissolving the cholesterol in bile so that it does not form stones.
Q. Does Ursodeoxycholic Acid cause weight gain/ weight loss?
No effect of Ursodeoxycholic Acid has been mentioned on the weight. Please consult your physician/ doctor in case you experience weight gain or weight loss while taking this drug.
Q. Is Ursodeoxycholic Acid safe during pregnancy?
Ursodeoxycholic Acid should not be taken during pregnancy until recommended by your physician/ doctor.
Q. Is Ursodeoxycholic Acid effective for the treatment of gall stones?
Yes, Ursodeoxycholic Acid is effective for the treatment of radiolucent gallstones made of cholesterol in a functioning gallbladder.
Q. What is Ursodeoxycholic Acid used for?
Ursodeoxycholic Acid is used for dissolving radiolucent gallstones made of cholesterol in a functioning gallbladder and for the treatment of primary biliary cirrhosis.
Q. How does Ursodeoxycholic Acid work in obstetric cholestasis?
Ursodeoxycholic Acid helps in improving pruritus and liver function in women with obstetric cholestasis. Always consult your physician before taking Ursodeoxycholic Acid as there is limited data available on the use of Ursodeoxycholic Acid during pregnancy. This must not be used during pregnancy unless clearly indicated.
Q. What does Ursodeoxycholic Acid do?
Ursodeoxycholic Acid decreases the production of cholesterol and dissolves the cholesterol in bile so that it does not form gallstones.
Q. Is Ursodeoxycholic Acid a steroid?
No, Ursodeoxycholic Acid is not a steroid.
Q. Is Ursodeoxycholic Acid an antibiotic?
No, Ursodeoxycholic Acid is not an antibiotic.