Trimipramine is used in the treatment of depression
How it works
Trimipramine works in depression by increasing the levels of chemical messengers in the brain that helps in regulating mood.
Common side effects
Blurred vision, Constipation, Delayed urination, Dizziness, Sleepiness, Drowsiness, Dry mouth, Increased risk of bone fractures, Increased sweating, Rash, Sexual dysfunction, Tachycardia, Tremor
- 1 variant(s)
- Seek immediate medical attention if you notice any thoughts or signs of harming or killing, new or worsening depression, extreme worry, agitation, panic attacks, difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep, aggressive behavior, irritability, acting without thinking, severe restlessness; and frenzied abnormal excitement.
- Continue taking trimipramine even if you feel well as it may take up to 4 weeks to experience the benefit.
- Take precautions if you have or had any of the following medical conditions: an enlarged prostate gland, glaucoma (painful eyes with blurred vision), fits or seizures, thyroid problems, history of seizures, suicidal thoughts or behavior, bipolar disorder, or any other mental disorders, going to have an anesthetic (for an operation or dental surgery), are elderly, are taking a medicine that contains methylene blue.
- Your blood sugar levels will be monitored with regular blood tests if you have or are at risk of getting diabetes.
- Avoid exposure to sunlight as trimipramine may increase your sensitivity to sunlight.
- Your eyes will be monitored regularly as some patients may be at risk for getting eye problems from trimipramine. Seek medical advice if you have eye pain, vision changes, or swelling or redness in or around the eye.
- Do not become overheated and avoid heat stroke in hot weather or while you exercise.
- Do not drive or operate machinery as trimipramine may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or cause you to fall asleep.
- Do not drink alcohol as it may worsen the side effects of trimipramine.
- Trimipramine is not recommended in children or adolescents under 18 years of age.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions
Q. How does trimipramine work?
Trimipramine works by increasing the amount of certain natural substances in the brain that are needed to maintain mental balance and elevate mood.