Information about Torasemide
Torasemide is used in the treatment of oedema and high blood pressure. It treats oedema (fluid overload) associated with heart, liver, kidney or lung disease.
How torasemide works
Torasemide is a diuretic. It removes extra water and certain electrolytes from the body by increasing the amount of urine produced. In doing so, it causes potassium loss.
Common side effects of torasemide
Dizziness, Weakness, Dehydration, Decreased potassium level in blood, Increased blood uric acid, Decreased magnesium level in blood, Increased thirst
Available Medicine for Torasemide
- ₹16 to ₹316Cipla Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹14 to ₹322Zydus Cadila6 variant(s)
- ₹24 to ₹265Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹23 to ₹65Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹19 to ₹268Micro Labs Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹29 to ₹85Lupin Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹30 to ₹263Centaur Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹43 to ₹150La Renon Healthcare Pvt Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹31 to ₹200Sinsan Pharmaceuticals6 variant(s)
- ₹20 to ₹77Abbott4 variant(s)
Expert advice for Torasemide
- Torasemide helps remove excess water from your body and lowers blood pressure.
- Take it in the morning with breakfast to avoid getting up at night to urinate.
- May cause dizziness in the initial days of treatment.
- Monitor your blood pressure after starting Torasemide, and notify your doctor if it does not lower down.
- Notify your doctor if you experience dizziness, tiredness, or muscle weakness that does not go away.
- Take potassium supplements or potassium-rich diet (banana, spinach, coconut water, etc.) as Torasemide can decrease your potassium levels and lead to dehydration.
- You may be asked to get regular blood tests done to monitor your kidney function.
Frequently asked questions for Torasemide
Q. Does Torasemide raise your blood sugar levels?
Torasemide can increase your blood sugar levels. This can worsen your diabetes control and affect your blood and urine sugar tests. Inform your doctor if you are a diabetic before taking Torasemide.
Q. Is Torasemide useful in the treatment of heart failure?
Yes, Torasemide is useful in the treatment of heart failure. It works by removing excess water and salt from your body. Thereby, decreasing the workload on the heart. This helps in improving the function of the heart in these patients.
Q. What medicines should I avoid while taking Torasemide?
Torasemide can interact with several medicines. Do not take any medicine without talking to your doctor.
Q. How long should I take Torasemide for?
Usually, Torasemide should be taken for the rest of your life, unless it is stopped by your doctor.