Information about Tolbutamide
Tolbutamide is used in the treatment of type 2 diabetes.
How tolbutamide works
Tolbutamide increases the amount of insulin released by the pancreas, which in turn lowers the blood glucose levels.
Common side effects of tolbutamide
Hypoglycemia (Low blood sugar level), Nausea, Headache, Dizziness.
Available Medicine for Tolbutamide
- ₹144Sanofi India Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Tolbutamide
- The most common and serious side effect is hypoglycemia (low blood sugar level). If you consume excessive alcohol or if you have irregular dietary patterns, you are at an increased risk of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar level). Do not skip meals when taking this medicine.
- Please be aware of signs and symptoms of low blood sugar (dizziness, tremor, sweating, headache).
- Inform your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with kidney or liver problems.
- Tell your doctor if you are planning to get pregnant or pregnant or breastfeeding.
- It should be avoided or use with caution if you are also taking nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents (NSAIDs), alcohol, β-blockers and ACE inhibitors.
- Do not change the dose without consulting your doctor.
Frequently asked questions for Tolbutamide
Q. What is tolbutamide/ what is tolbutamide orinase/ what is tolbutamide used for?
Tolbutamide (brand name Orinase) is used in adults to control blood sugar levels in type 2 diabetes (non-insulin dependent) which cannot be controlled by diet alone
Q. How does tolbutamide work/ how does tolbutamide lower blood glucose?
Tolbutamide helps pancreas to produce insulin which in turn helps to lower blood sugar
Q. Is tolbutamide contraindicated for older adults?
Tolbutamide is not contraindicated for older adults, but it should used with caution and should be initiated at lower doses
Q. Is tolbutamide still used?
Tolbutamide is used in generic form. No brands are available for same.