Information about Tolbutamide
Tolbutamide is used in the treatment of type 2 diabetes.
How tolbutamide works
Tolbutamide is an anti-diabetic medication (sulphonylurea). It works by increasing the amount of insulin released by the pancreas in order to lower the blood glucose.
Common side effects of tolbutamide
Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar level), Nausea, Headache, Dizziness
Available Medicine for Tolbutamide
- ₹144Sanofi India Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Tolbutamide
- Helps decrease high blood sugar level and avoids long-term complications of diabetes.
- Take just before or with the first main meal of the day (usually breakfast). Avoid skipping meals.
- Exercise regularly, eat a healthy diet, and take your other diabetes medicines (if prescribed) alongside.
- Learn how to identify and manage symptoms of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar level) such as sweating, rapid heartbeat, weakness, blurry vision, and headache, and teach your family as well.
- Avoid drinking alcohol.
Frequently asked questions for Tolbutamide
Q. What is Tolbutamide/ what is Tolbutamide orinase/ what is Tolbutamide used for?
Tolbutamide (brand name Orinase) is used in adults to control blood sugar levels in type 2 diabetes (non-insulin dependent) which cannot be controlled by diet alone
Q. How does Tolbutamide work/ how does Tolbutamide lower blood glucose?
Tolbutamide helps pancreas to produce insulin which in turn helps to lower blood sugar
Q. Is Tolbutamide contraindicated for older adults?
Tolbutamide is not contraindicated for older adults, but it should used with caution and should be initiated at lower doses
Q. Is Tolbutamide still used?
Tolbutamide is used in generic form. No brands are available for same.