Information about Tolbutamide
Tolbutamide is used in the treatment of type 2 diabetes.
How tolbutamide works
Tolbutamide is an anti-diabetic medication. It works by increasing the amount of insulin released by the pancreas in order to lower the blood glucose.
Common side effects of tolbutamide
Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar level), Nausea, Headache, Dizziness
Available Medicine for Tolbutamide
- ₹144Sanofi India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹20Lotus Life Sciences1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Tolbutamide
- Tolbutamide helps decrease high blood sugar level and avoids long-term complications of diabetes.
- Take it shortly before or with the first main meal of the day (usually breakfast). Avoid skipping meals.
- Exercise regularly, eat a healthy diet, and take your other diabetes medicines (if prescribed) alongside.
- Monitor your blood sugar level regularly while you are taking this medicine.
- Be careful while driving or operating machinery until you know how Tolbutamide affects you.
- It can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar level) when used with other antidiabetic medicines, alcohol or if you delay or miss a meal.
- Always carry some sugary food or fruit juice with you in case you experience hypoglycemic symptoms such as cold sweats, cool pale skin, tremor, and anxious feeling.
- Your doctor may check your liver function regularly. Inform your doctor if you develop symptoms such as abdominal pain, loss of appetite, or yellowing of the eyes or skin (jaundice).
Frequently asked questions for Tolbutamide
Q. What is Tolbutamide/ what is Tolbutamide orinase/ what is Tolbutamide used for?
Tolbutamide (brand name Orinase) is used in adults to control blood sugar levels in type 2 diabetes (non-insulin dependent) which cannot be controlled by diet alone
Q. How does Tolbutamide work/ how does Tolbutamide lower blood glucose?
Tolbutamide helps pancreas to produce insulin which in turn helps to lower blood sugar
Q. Is Tolbutamide contraindicated for older adults?
Tolbutamide is not contraindicated for older adults, but it should used with caution and should be initiated at lower doses
Q. Is Tolbutamide still used?
Tolbutamide is used in generic form. No brands are available for same.