Information about Tigecycline
Tigecycline is used in the treatment of serious bacterial infections.
How tigecycline works
Tigecycline is an antibiotic. It stops bacterial growth by inhibiting synthesis of essential proteins, which are required by bacteria to carry out vital functions.
Common side effects of tigecycline
Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhoea
Available Medicine for Tigecycline
- ₹2800Natco Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹3559Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹1299 to ₹3737Alkem Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹3434Abbott1 variant(s)
- ₹3142Pfizer Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹2758Lupin Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹3580Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹3289Zuventus Healthcare Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹3407Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹2850La Renon Healthcare Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Tigecycline
- Your doctor has prescribed Tigecycline to cure your infection and improve symptoms.
- Take Tigecycline with food and plenty of fluids to avoid an upset stomach and acid reflux.
- Do not skip any doses and finish the full course of treatment even if you feel better.
- Do not take calcium, antacids or iron at least 2 hours before or 6 hours after taking Tigecycline.
- Discontinue Tigecycline and inform your doctor immediately if you get a rash, itchy skin, swelling of face and mouth, or have difficulty in breathing.
- Diarrhea may occur as a side effect but should stop when your course is complete. Inform your doctor if it doesn't stop or if you find blood in your stools.
Frequently asked questions for Tigecycline
Q. Is tigecycline a tetracycline?
Yes, Tigecycline is a tetracycline antibiotic
Q. Is Tigecycline bacteriostatic/ nephrotoxic /bactericidal?
Tigecycline is bacteriostatic. It is not a nephrotoxic or bactericidal
Q. What is Tigecycline used for?
Tigecycline is used to treat various types of infections such as complicated skin and skin structure infections, complicated intra-abdominal infections, community-acquired bacterial pneumonia
Q. Does Tigecycline cover MRSA/ VRE/anaerobes/ c diff?
Yes, Tigecycline covers MSRA, anaerobes, VRE, C diff
Q. How does Tigecycline work?
Tigecycline works by preventing the bacteria from multiplying.