Thiopental Sodium is used in anesthesia
How it works
Thiopental sodium causes a reversible loss of consciousness allowing surgery to facilitate surgery without pain and distress.
Common side effects
Drowsiness, Skin rash, Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhoea, Vertigo
- ₹52 to ₹73Bharat Serums & Vaccines Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹50Chandra Bhagat Pharma Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹40Pasteur Laboratories Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹32 to ₹44Jagsonpal Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹57Harson Laboratories1 variant(s)
- ₹40Pfizer Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹39 to ₹52Samarth Life Sciences Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹52 to ₹73Vhb Life Sciences Inc2 variant(s)
- Take special care if you have heart disease, circulatory problems, anemia, increased pressure in brain, muscle weakness or degeneration, thyroid problems, asthma, burns, shock.
- Do not drive or operate machinery especially during the first 24 to 36 hours after the injection as thiopental cause drowsiness and disorientation.
- Avoid drinking alcohol or taking other medications that cause drowsiness (eg, sedatives, tranquilizers) while taking thiopental as it may lead to serious side effects.
- Ensure that you practice additional pregnancy control methods as thiopental may decrease the effectiveness of the birth control pills.
- Use thiopental with caution if you are an elderly patient, as you may be more sensitive to its effects, especially drowsiness, depression, or confusion.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions
Q. How does sodium thiopental work as a truth serum?
Sodium thiopental alters certain functions in the brain to make the person incapable of lying and he/she may speak only the truth.