Information about Thiopental Sodium
Thiopental sodium uses
Thiopental Sodium is used in anesthesia.
How thiopental sodium works
Thiopental sodium causes a reversible loss of consciousness allowing surgery to facilitate surgery without pain and distress.
Common side effects of thiopental sodium
Drowsiness, Skin rash, Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhoea, Vertigo
Available Medicine for Thiopental Sodium
- ₹40Pasteur Laboratories Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹32 to ₹44Jagsonpal Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹52 to ₹73Bharat Serums & Vaccines Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹52 to ₹73Vhb Life Sciences Inc2 variant(s)
- ₹57Harson Laboratories1 variant(s)
- ₹40Pfizer Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹50Chandra Bhagat Pharma Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹39 to ₹52Samarth Life Sciences Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Thiopental Sodium
- Take special care if you have heart disease, circulatory problems, anemia, increased pressure in brain, muscle weakness or degeneration, thyroid problems, asthma, burns, shock.
- Do not drive or operate machinery especially during the first 24 to 36 hours after the injection as thiopental cause drowsiness and disorientation.
- Avoid drinking alcohol or taking other medications that cause drowsiness (eg, sedatives, tranquilizers) while taking thiopental as it may lead to serious side effects.
- Ensure that you practice additional pregnancy control methods as thiopental may decrease the effectiveness of the birth control pills.
- Use thiopental with caution if you are an elderly patient, as you may be more sensitive to its effects, especially drowsiness, depression, or confusion.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Thiopental Sodium
Q. How does sodium thiopental work as a truth serum?
Sodium thiopental alters certain functions in the brain to make the person incapable of lying and he/she may speak only the truth.