Information about Telmisartan
Telmisartan is used in the treatment of high blood pressure.
How telmisartan works
Telmisartan is an angiotensin receptor blocker (ARB) and PPARγ-agonist. It relaxes blood vessels by blocking the action of a chemical that usually makes blood vessels tighter. This lowers the blood pressure, allowing the blood to flow more smoothly to different organs and the heart to pump more efficiently.
Common side effects of telmisartan
Dizziness, Back pain, Diarrhea, Sinus inflammation, Increased potassium level in blood
Available Medicine for Telmisartan
- ₹57 to ₹208Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹38 to ₹106USV Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹20 to ₹65Mankind Pharma Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹29 to ₹95Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹57 to ₹159Lupin Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹59 to ₹159Eris Lifesciences Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹57 to ₹159Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹53 to ₹287Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd9 variant(s)
- ₹57 to ₹106Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹37 to ₹70Emcure Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
Expert advice for Telmisartan
- You have been prescribed Telmisartan to improve your blood pressure.
- Lowering blood pressure reduces the chance of future heart attack & stroke.
- It may also be used to treat chronic (long-standing) heart failure.
- It protects kidney function which is especially useful for people with diabetes or mild-to-moderate kidney diseases.
- It can make you feel dizzy for the first few days. Take it preferably at bedtime and rise slowly if you have been sitting or lying down.
- It may increase the level of potassium in blood. Avoid taking potassium supplements and potassium-rich foods such as banana and broccoli.
- Do not take it during pregnancy or breastfeeding. Tell your doctor if you conceive while taking Telmisartan.
Frequently asked questions for Telmisartan
Q. Is Telmisartan safe?
Telmisartan is safe if used in the prescribed dose and duration advised by your doctor.
Q. What is Telmisartan used for?
Telmisartan is used for the treatment of hypertension (high blood pressure). Telmisartan reduces cardiovascular events (i.e. heart attack or stroke) in adults who are at risk because of reduced or blocked blood supply to the heart or legs. The risk is high in people who have had a stroke or in high-risk diabetes patients.
Q. Can I take Telmisartan with paracetamol?
Yes, Telmisartan can be taken with paracetamol. As per the reports, using the two medicines together does not change the working of Telmisartan. Their usage does not cause any severe side effects.
Q. Does Telmisartan cause cough?
Use of Telmisartan can cause cough but this is a very uncommon side effect. Please consult your doctor in case you experience a cough while taking Telmisartan.
Q. Does Telmisartan cause erectile dysfunction?
Telmisartan is not associated with erectile dysfunction. Please consult your doctor in case you experience this problem while taking Telmisartan.
Q. Can the use of Telmisartan cause hyperkalemia (increased potassium level in blood)?
Yes, Telmisartan can cause hyperkalemia (increased potassium level in blood). A regular monitoring of blood potassium levels may be advised by your doctor while taking this medicine.
Q. Can the use of Telmisartan cause weight gain?
No, weight gain has not been reported as a side effect of Telmisartan. Please talk to your doctor in case you experience an excessive change in your weight while taking Telmisartan.
Q. Can the use of Telmisartan cause hair loss?
No, hair loss has not been reported as a side effect of Telmisartan. This could be due to some other cause or condition. Please consult your doctor.
Q. Can Telmisartan cause headache?
Telmisartan is not known to cause headache. Please consult your doctor in case you experience headache when you are taking Telmisartan.
Q. Does Telmisartan cause weight loss?
Weight loss has not been reported as a side effect of Telmisartan. Talk to your doctor if you experience excessive weight loss while taking this medicine as this could be due to some other underlying condition.