Sulfamethoxazole + Trimethoprim
Information about Sulfamethoxazole + Trimethoprim
Sulfamethoxazole + trimethoprim uses
Sulfamethoxazole+Trimethoprim is used in the treatment of bacterial infections. It is used to treat bacterial infections such as pneumonia, bronchitis, infections of urinary tract, ear and intestines.
How sulfamethoxazole + trimethoprim works
This is a combination of two antibiotics: Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim. These antibiotics work by preventing the bacteria from producing folic acid, a nutrient required for bacterial multiplication. Together, they treat your infection effectively.
Common side effects of sulfamethoxazole + trimethoprim
Nausea, Vomiting, Skin rash, Allergic reaction
Available Medicine for Sulfamethoxazole + Trimethoprim
- ₹2 to ₹15Koye Pharmaceuticals Pvt ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹14Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹6 to ₹15Abbott3 variant(s)
- ₹13 to ₹15Zydus Cadila2 variant(s)
- ₹6 to ₹76Agron Remedies Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹7 to ₹13RPG Life Sciences Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹5 to ₹11Deys Medical3 variant(s)
- ₹9 to ₹12Albert David Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹12Karnataka Antibiotics & Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹10 to ₹17Sanofi India Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Sulfamethoxazole + Trimethoprim
- You have been prescribed Sulfamethoxazole + Trimethoprim for the treatment of many types of bacterial infections.
- Finish the prescribed course of Sulfamethoxazole + Trimethoprim, even if you start to feel better. Stopping it early may make the infection come back and harder to treat.
- Diarrhea may occur as a side effect but should stop when your course is complete. Inform your doctor if it does not stop or if you find blood in your stools.
- Stop taking Sulfamethoxazole + Trimethoprim and inform your doctor if you develop skin rash/blisters or other unexplained skin reaction while taking Sulfamethoxazole + Trimethoprim.
- In case of long-term use, have regular monthly blood tests to monitor your blood cells as suggested by your doctor.
Frequently asked questions for Sulfamethoxazole + Trimethoprim
Sulfamethoxazole + Trimethoprim
Q. What is Sulfamethoxazole+Trimethoprim?
Sulfamethoxazole+Trimethoprim is a combination of two medicines: Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim. It is an antibiotic which treats certain bacterial infections and works by stopping the growth of the bacteria causing the infection.
Q. Can the use of Sulfamethoxazole+Trimethoprim cause nausea and vomiting?
Yes, the use of Sulfamethoxazole+Trimethoprim can cause nausea and vomiting. Taking it with milk, food or with antacids can prevent nausea. Avoid taking fatty or fried foods along with this medication. In case of vomiting, drink plenty of water or other fluids by taking small frequent sips. Talk to your doctor if vomiting persists and you notice signs of dehydration, like dark colored and strong-smelling urine and a low frequency of urination. Do not take any other medicine without speaking to a doctor.
Q. Are there any specific contraindications associated with the use of Sulfamethoxazole+Trimethoprim?
Sulfamethoxazole+Trimethoprim is considered to be harmful for patients with known allergy to any of the components or excipients of this medicine. It is also avoided in patients with a history of drug-induced immune thrombocytopenia (low platelet count), megaloblastic anemia caused due to folate deficiency. The medicine is also harmful for pediatric patients less than 2 months of age and for patients with marked hepatic damage or with severe renal insufficiency when renal function status cannot be monitored.
Q. Can I stop taking Sulfamethoxazole+Trimethoprim when my symptoms are relieved?
No, do not stop taking Sulfamethoxazole+Trimethoprim and complete the full course of treatment, even if you feel better. Your symptoms may improve before the infection is completely cured.
Q. What is the recommended storage condition for Sulfamethoxazole+Trimethoprim?
Keep this medicine in the container or the pack it came in, tightly closed. Store it according to the instructions mentioned on the pack or label. Dispose of the unused medicine. Make sure it is not consumed by pets, children and other people.
Q. Can I stop taking Sulfamethoxazole+Trimethoprim when I feel better?
No, do not stop taking Sulfamethoxazole+Trimethoprim and complete the full course of treatment even if you feel better. Your symptoms may improve before the infection is completely cured.
Q. What if I miss my dose?
Take Sulfamethoxazole+Trimethoprim as soon as you remember it. However, do not take it if it's almost time for your next dose. Also, do not take an extra dose to make up for your missed dose.
Q. What if I don't get better after using Sulfamethoxazole+Trimethoprim?
Inform your doctor if you don't feel better after finishing the full course of treatment. Also, inform him if your symptoms are getting worse while using this medicine.