Information about Sucralfate
Sucralfate is used in the treatment of intestinal ulcers and stomach ulcers.
How sucralfate works
Sucralfate forms a coating over the ulcer or any other raw surface. This creates a physical barrier that protects the ulcer/raw surface from the gastric acid or any other injury, allowing it to heal.
Common side effects of sucralfate
Available Medicine for Sucralfate
- ₹36 to ₹370Fourrts India Laboratories Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹71 to ₹72Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹154TTK Healthcare Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹90 to ₹248Eskag Pharma Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹66 to ₹132Menarini India Pvt Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹70Mankind Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹135Assam Chemical & Pharmaceutical Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹66 to ₹143SAF Fermion Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹71Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹140Shine Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Sucralfate
- Do not take the Sucralfate at least 2 hours before or after taking other medicines. It may interact with these other medicines
- Take Sucralfate on an empty stomach, preferably 1 hour before a meal.
- Avoid taking antacids, before or after 30 minutes of taking a dose of Sucralfate.
- Notify your doctor if you have a kidney disorder, as it may put you at a greater risk of developing aluminum overload.
- Notify your doctor, if you are or planning to become pregnant.
Frequently asked questions for Sucralfate
Q. Is Sucralfate an antibiotic/sulfa drug/pain-killer/PPI?
Sucralfate is not an antibiotic/sulfa drug/ PPI (proton-pump inhibitor) or a pain-killer. It is an ulcer protective medicine
Q. Is Sucralfate available or sold over the counter?
No. Sucralfate is a prescription drug. It is not available or sold over the counter
Q. Is Sucralfate gluten free?
Yes. Sucralfate is gluten free. However, please refer to package insert of the prescribed brand before use
Q. Is Sucralfate safe?
Yes. Sucralfate is relatively safe if used as recommended. In case of any side-effects, consult your doctor
Q. Can I take Sucralfate with Prilosec/Nexium/ Tylenol/Zantac/ibuprofen/Pepto?
Yes. Sucralfate can be taken with Prilosec/Nexium/ Tylenol/Zantac/ibuprofen and Pepto if prescribed by your doctor
Q. Does Sucralfate cause headaches/weight gain/insomnia/ heartburn?
Sucralfate does not cause headaches/weight gain/insomnia or heartburn. If you experience any such symptoms, please consult your doctor
Q. Is Sucralfate a narcotic drug?
No. Sucralfate is not a narcotic drug.