Information about Somatropin
Somatropin is used in the treatment of pituitary dwarfism.
How somatropin works
Somatropin has the same structure like natural growth hormone which is required for the growth of bones and muscles. It also helps the fat and muscle tissues to develop in the right proportion.
Common side effects of somatropin
Injection site reaction
Available Medicine for Somatropin
- ₹1700LG Lifesciences1 variant(s)
- ₹3440Serum Institute Of India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹3260Ferring Pharmaceuticals1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Somatropin
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using somatropin. It may irritate your stomach and worsen your condition.
- Do not use more than the recommended dose or change your dose without checking with your doctor.
- Somatropin may raise your blood sugar, cause mild swelling (particularly in the hands or feet), or muscle or joint pain, swelling, or stiffness. If you experience any of these symptoms, inform your doctor immediately.
- Somatopin should be used with caution in the elderly who may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Before you take somatropin, inform your doctor if have /are being treated for any of the following medical conditions: thyroid problem, diabetes, kidney problems.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking or have recently taken or might take any other medicines along with somatropin.
- Tell your doctor before taking somatropin, if you are about to have, or have had, a major operation, or go into hospital for any reason.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Somatropin
Q. Is Somatropin legal?
Yes. Somatropin is officially approved by the US FDA to be used in the management of the human growth hormone deficiency
Q. Is Somatropin good and safe?
Somatropin is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is Somatropin a steroid?
Yes. Somatropin is a steroid
Q. Is Somatropin a controlled substance?
No. Somatropin is not a controlled substance
Q. How long can I take Somatropin?
You can take Somatropin until you have reached your final height and stopped growing or as per instructions of your treating doctor
Q. Can I take Somatropin with / without steroids?
Yes. You can take Somatropin both ways; however, if you are taking with another steroid (e.g. testosterone) then your treating doctor may adjust the dose
Q. Can I take Somatropin with high blood pressure?
Yes. It is safe to take Somatropin with high blood pressure, however, make sure you discuss this with your treating doctor
Q. Does Somatropin need to be refrigerated and does it have an expiry date?
Somatropin needs to be stored at 2-8 °C and does have an expiry date mentioned on the container of the drug.