Information about Saxagliptin
Saxagliptin is used in the treatment of type 2 diabetes.
How saxagliptin works
Saxagliptin increases the amount of insulin released by the pancreas, which in turn lowers the blood glucose levels.
Common side effects of saxagliptin
Headache, Upper respiratory tract infection, Hypoglycaemia (Low blood sugar level) in combination with insulin or sulphonylurea, Nasopharyngitis.
Available Medicine for Saxagliptin
- ₹546 to ₹605Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹1092 to ₹1210Astra Zeneca2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Saxagliptin
- Saxagliptin is a well tolerated and safe anti-diabetic drug and does not cause very low blood sugar levels and weight gain.
- Take Saxagliptin with water at any time of the day with or without food. Do not chew or crush the tablets.
- You would be at an increased risk of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar level) when insulin and sulfonylureas are also given along with, a dose adjustment may be needed. Do not change the dose yourself.
- Inform your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with kidney or liver problems.
- Saxagliptin can cause acute pancreatitis (swelling of your pancreas) which can be life threatening. Tell your doctor if you ever had pancreatitis, gallstones, and history of alcohol intake.
- If you experience severe joint pain or allergic reactions (skin rash, swelling of the face, lips, tongue and throat which causes difficulty in breathing), stop taking the medicine and inform your doctor.
Frequently asked questions for Saxagliptin
Q. Does saxagliptin/ Kombiglyze cause diarrhea?
Kombiglyze is trade name for the combination of medicines saxagliptin and metformin. Saxagliptin/ Kombiglyze may cause diarrhea
Q. Does saxagliptin/Onglyza/ Kombiglyze cause cancer?
Onglyza is a trade name for medicine saxagliptin. Kombiglyze is trade name for the combination of medicines saxagliptin and metformin. Saxagliptin/Onglyza/ Kombiglyze has neither reported to cause any cancer, nor has any potential to cause cancer.
Q. Does saxagliptin/Kombiglyze cause constipation?
Kombiglyze is trade name for the combination of medicines saxagliptin and metformin.. Saxagliptin/Kombiglyze does not cause constipation
Q. Does Onglyza contain metformin?
No. It only contains saxagliptin as an active drug
Q. Does Kombiglyze cause weight loss (reduction)?
Kombiglyze is trade name for the combination of medicines saxagliptin and metformin. Weight loss is one of the side effect of Kombiglyze; the metformin component present in Kombiglyze may be responsible for the same. Please note, Kombiglyze is not a weight-loss drug
Q. Does Onglyza have a generic?
Onglyza is the trade name of the active drug saxagliptin. Saxagliptin is not available in a generic form
Q. Does saxagliptin/Onglyza cause weight loss/ weight gain?
Onglyza is the trade name for saxagliptin. Saxagliptin/Onglyza does not cause weight loss/reduction. Saxagliptin/ Onglyza does not cause any apparent change in body weight
Q. Does saxagliptin/Kombiglyze cause hair loss?
Kombiglyze is trade name for the combination of medicines saxagliptin and metformin. Saxagliptin/Kombiglyze does not cause hair loss