How it works
Common side effects
- Type 2 diabetes can be controlled with a proper diet alone or a diet along with exercise. A planned diet and exercising are always important when you have diabetes, even when you are taking antidiabetic medicines.
- Notify your doctor if you have or ever had:
- A disease of the pancreas (such as pancreatitis).
- Gallstones, alcohol dependency or very high levels of triglycerides (a form of fat found in blood) in your blood. These medical conditions can increase your chance of getting pancreatitis.
- Type 1 diabetes.
- Diabetic ketoacidosis (a complication of diabetes with high blood sugar, rapid weight loss, nausea or vomiting)
- Any past or present kidney problems.
- An allergic reaction to Saxagliptin
Frequently asked questions
Q.Does saxagliptin/Onglyza cause weight loss/ weight gain?
Onglyza is the trade name for saxagliptin. Saxagliptin/Onglyza does not cause weight loss/reduction. Saxagliptin/ Onglyza does not cause any apparent change in body weight
Q.Does Kombiglyze cause weight loss (reduction)?
Kombiglyze is trade name for the combination of medicines saxagliptin and metformin. Weight loss is one of the side effect of Kombiglyze; the metformin component present in Kombiglyze may be responsible for the same. Please note, Kombiglyze is not a weight-loss drug
Q.Does saxagliptin/Kombiglyze cause constipation?
Kombiglyze is trade name for the combination of medicines saxagliptin and metformin.. Saxagliptin/Kombiglyze does not cause constipation
Q.Does saxagliptin/ Kombiglyze cause diarrhea?
Kombiglyze is trade name for the combination of medicines saxagliptin and metformin. Saxagliptin/ Kombiglyze may cause diarrhea
Q.Does saxagliptin/Kombiglyze cause hair loss?
Kombiglyze is trade name for the combination of medicines saxagliptin and metformin. Saxagliptin/Kombiglyze does not cause hair loss
Q.Does Onglyza have a generic?
Onglyza is the trade name of the active drug saxagliptin. Saxagliptin is not available in a generic form
Q.Does Onglyza contain metformin?
No. It only contains saxagliptin as an active drug
Q.Does saxagliptin/Onglyza/ Kombiglyze cause cancer?
Onglyza is a trade name for medicine saxagliptin. Kombiglyze is trade name for the combination of medicines saxagliptin and metformin. Saxagliptin/Onglyza/ Kombiglyze has neither reported to cause any cancer, nor has any potential to cause cancer.