Information about Safinamide
Safinamide is used in the treatment of Parkinson's disease.
How Safinamide works
Safinamide works by increasing the amount of dopamine, a chemical messenger that is needed to control movement in the brain.
Common side effects of Safinamide
Flu-like symptoms, Joint pain, Depression, Indigestion, Peripheral edema, Cough, Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping)
Expert advice for Safinamide
- Safinamide can be taken with or without food or as directed by your doctor.
- Reduce/avoid a high-protein diet (eg.meat, poultry, and dairy products) while you are taking the medicine as it may cause an unsafe rise in your blood pressure.
- Use caution while driving or doing anything that requires concentration as Safinamide can make you very sleepy.
- Talk to your doctor in case you develop hallucinations or other changes in your behavior.
- Do not stop taking Safinamide without first talking to your doctor. Sudden stopping may cause confusion, stiff muscles and a high fever.