Information about Safinamide
Safinamide is used in the treatment of Parkinson's disease.
How Safinamide works
Safinamide works by increasing the amount of dopamine, a chemical messenger that is needed to control movement in the brain.
Common side effects of Safinamide
Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping), Involuntary muscle movement, Dizziness, Fall, Headache, Anxiety, Orthostatic hypotension (sudden lowering of blood pressure on standing), Nausea
Expert advice for Safinamide
- Safinamide can be taken with or without food or as directed by your doctor.
- Reduce/avoid a high-protein diet (eg.meat, poultry, and dairy products) while you are taking the medicine as it may cause an unsafe rise in your blood pressure.
- Use caution while driving or doing anything that requires concentration as Safinamide can make you very sleepy.
- Talk to your doctor in case you develop hallucinations or other changes in your behavior.
- Do not stop taking Safinamide without first talking to your doctor. Sudden stopping may cause confusion, stiff muscles and a high fever.