Information about Rituximab
Rituximab is used in the treatment of non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL), blood cancer (Chronic lymphocytic leukemia) and rheumatoid arthritis.
How rituximab works
Rituximab is a monoclonal antibody that specifically binds to receptors on cancer cells. Thus it flags the cancer cells for destruction by the body's immune system.
Common side effects of rituximab
Headache, Weakness, Edema (swelling), Infection, Hair loss, Itching, Chills, Febrile neutropenia, Decreased white blood cell count (neutrophils), Infusion reaction
Available Medicine for Rituximab
- ₹7708 to ₹42658Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹7708 to ₹37500Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹7707 to ₹38540Emcure Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹77082Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹7500 to ₹44643Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹37675Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹7389 to ₹34412Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹6108 to ₹30286Hetero Drugs Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹7138 to ₹38542Alkem Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹36946Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Rituximab
- Seek immediate medical attention if you develop any severe skin and mouth reactions: painful sores or ulcers on the skin, lips, or mouth; blisters; rash; or peeling skin.
- Use rituximab with extreme caution in children and elderly.
- Rituximab may cause a serious viral infection of the brain or progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy that can lead to disability or death. Consult your doctor immediately if you experience any change in your mental state, decreased vision, or problems with speech or walking.
- Take precautions if you have or had any of the following medical conditions: hepatitis infection (rituximab could be fatal in such cases), any other infection such as (herpes, shingles, cytomegalovirus, etc.), systemic lupus erythematosus, heart problems (such as angina, palpitations or heart failure), lung disease or breathing problems, taken medicines which affect your immune system (such as chemotherapy or immune-suppressive medicines) or used certain arthritis medicines.
- You may be asked to stop taking medicines for high blood pressure 12 hours before you receive rituximab as it may cause a fall in the blood pressure.
- Avoid activities that may cause bruising or injury as rituximab may reduce the number of clot-forming cells (platelets) in your blood.
- You may be monitored with regular blood tests before and during the treatment with rituximab to monitor your condition or check for side effects.
- Do not receive live vaccine (such as measles, mumps, rubella and others) while using rituximab, and avoid contact with anyone who has recently received a live vaccine as there are chances that the virus could be passed on to you.
- Use effective method of contraception while using and after 12 months after your last treatment with rituximab.
Frequently asked questions for Rituximab
Q. Does Rituximab work?
Rituximab works in most patients if taken at recommended dosage and duration
Q. Is Rituximab FDA approved?
Rituximab is a FDA approved drug.
Q. Is Rituximab considered chemotherapy/ a vesicant/ immunotherapy/ a biologic/ cytotoxic/ dialyzable/ cause cancer?
Rituximab is a biological immunotherapy which is used along with chemotherapy to treat certain cancers. It has not shown to have any vesicant or irritant properties. It can be classified as a cytotoxic since it destroys B cells
Q. Is Rituximab safe/ carcinogenic to humans/ cause low blood counts/ cause hair loss/ cause weight gain/ make you tired/ affect fertility/ cause neutropenia/cause fatigue?
Rituximab is safe if taken at recommended dosage and duration. As with most anti-cancer drugs, it may have certain side effects such as it can cause low blood counts, hair loss, weight gain or loss, cause fatigue and feeling of tiredness, affect fertility, cause neutropenia. Always consult your doctor before taking this medication