Information about Risedronate
Risedronate is used in the treatment of osteoporosis.
How risedronate works
Risedronate inhibits the activity of osteoclasts, cells that cause loss of bone.
Common side effects of risedronate
Headache, Abdominal distension, Acid reflux, Abdominal pain, Difficulty in swallowing, Flatulence, Dyspepsia, Musculoskeletal (bone, muscle or joint) pain, Constipation, Diarrhoea, Esophageal ulcer.
Available Medicine for Risedronate
- ₹199 to ₹219Alkem Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹155Aksigen Hospital Care2 variant(s)
- ₹2310Sanofi India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹156Organic Laboratories1 variant(s)
- ₹94Medreich Lifecare Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹142Molekule India Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Risedronate
- Do not take risedronate tablet if you are allergic to risedronate or any of the other ingredients.
- Do not take risedronate if you have a low blood calcium level (hypocalcaemia).
- Avoid using risedronate if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Do not start or continue risedronate if you have deficiency of vitamin D or parathyroid hormone that may lower blood calcium levels and cause weakening of bones.
- Do not start or continue risedronate if you have or had problems in the past with your food-pipe that makes swallowing difficult, or you have been told that you have a pre-cancerous condition of the food-pipe; pain, swelling or numbness of the jaw or a “heavy jaw feeling” or loosening of a tooth.
Frequently asked questions for Risedronate
Q. Is risedronate a generic drug?
Yes, risedronate is available as generic drug
Q. Is risedronate safe?
Residronate is safe, if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Does risedronate cause weight gain?
No clinically observable effect on weight has been reported for risedronate
Q. What is risedronate sodium?
Risedronate belongs to a class of medication called as bisphosphonates. It acts by slowing bone breakdown process, increasing bone density (thickness), and decreasing the amount of calcium released from the bones into the blood
Q. How does risedronate work?
Risedronate works by slowing bone breakdown process, increasing bone density (thickness), and decreasing the amount of calcium released from the bones into the blood.
Q. What is risedronate prescribed for?
Risedronate is prescribed for treatment of Paget’s disease and osteoporosis in men and post-menopausal women.