Information about Riociguat
Riociguat is used in the treatment of Pulmonary hypertension.
How Riociguat works
Riociguat is a vasodilator. It works by widening the blood vessels that connect the heart to the lungs. This increases the blood supply to the lungs, which reduces the workload of the heart.
Common side effects of Riociguat
Headache, Vomiting, Nausea, Dyspepsia, Hypotension (low blood pressure)
Expert advice for Riociguat
- Your doctor has prescribed Riociguat to treat high pressure in the blood vessels (the pulmonary arteries) that carry blood from the heart to the lungs.
- It can help improve your quality of life and exercise ability.
- Monitor your blood pressure regularly to help your doctor decide the correct dose for you.
- It increases your risk of bleeding. Be careful while shaving, cutting fingernails or toenails, or using sharp objects.
- Don't drive or do anything requiring concentration until you know how Riociguat affects you.
- Do not take Riociguat if you are pregnant as it can cause serious birth defects.
- Do not take Riociguat if you are also taking a nitrate medicine such as nitroglycerin to treat high blood pressure or heart disease.