Information about Pyrimethamine + Sulfamethoxazole
Pyrimethamine + Sulfamethoxazole Uses
Pyrimethamine+Sulfamethoxazole is used in the treatment of malaria.
How Pyrimethamine + Sulfamethoxazole works
Pyrimethamine + Sulfamethoxazole is a combination of two medicines: Pyrimethamine and Sulfamethoxazole which treat malaria. Pyrimethamine is an antiparasitic medicine which works by increasing the levels of haeme in the blood, a substance toxic to the malarial parasite. This kills the parasite and stops the infection from spreading. Sulfamethoxazole is an antibiotic which stops the bacteria from producing folic acid, a nutrient required for bacterial multiplication.
Common side effects of Pyrimethamine + Sulfamethoxazole
Diarrhea, Nausea, Vomiting, Fatigue, Feeling of fullness, Dizziness, Headache, Mouth sore, Skin rash
Available Medicine for Pyrimethamine + Sulfamethoxazole
LariIpca Laboratories Ltd
₹59 to ₹602 variant(s)
G KelfinShrinivas Gujarat Laboratories Pvt Ltd
MalazoleTOSC International Pvt Ltd
MalinCornel Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
₹8 to ₹192 variant(s)
CalfinRedson Laboratories Pvt Ltd
KemarBhavishya Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
MalarceGujarat Terce Laboratories Ltd
MalexAan Pharma Pvt Ltd
Expert advice for Pyrimethamine + Sulfamethoxazole
- Pyrimethamine + Sulfamethoxazole must be taken with food at the same time every day.
- Do not skip any doses and finish the full course of treatment even if you feel better. Stopping it early may make the infection come back and harder to treat.
- It is advisable to drink plenty of fluids and a healthy diet while taking the medicine.
- It may cause dizziness. Do not drive or do anything that requires mental focus until you know how the medicine affects you.
- Avoid consuming alcohol while taking medication as it may cause increased side effects.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning pregnancy or breastfeeding.