Pyridostigmine is used in the treatment of myasthenia gravis, paralytic ileus, post-operative urinary retention and reversal of effect of skeletal muscle relaxant after surgery.
How it works
Pyridostigmine increases the levels of chemical messengers which allows free transmission of signals across the nerves and muscles.
Common side effects
Nausea, Vomiting, Abdominal cramp, Excessive salivation, Diarrhoea
- ₹132 to ₹282Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹77Samarth Life Sciences Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹113 to ₹138Vhb Life Sciences Inc2 variant(s)
- ₹89Troikaa Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹133Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹115United Biotech Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹77Bharat Serums & Vaccines Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹75Chandra Bhagat Pharma Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- Do not start or continue the pyridostigmine medication if you are allergic to pyridostigmine or any other ingredient in the medicine.
- Do not take pyridostigmine if you have recently had coronary obstruction (heart attack); slow heart beat or any other heart condition; asthma; or stomach ulcer.
- Avoid taking pyridostigmine if you have fits (epilepsy) or Parkinson’s disease; an overactive thyroid gland; bladder or bowel obstruction.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Is pyridostigmine a narcotic/steroid/ immunosuppressant/ anticholinesterase?
Pyridostigmine is parasympathomimetic and not a narcotic/ steroid/immunosuppressant. It acts by inhibiting the enzyme called as acetylcholinesterase
Q. What is pyridostigmine/ pyridostigmine bromide/pyridostigmine 60 mg is used for?
Pyridostigmine is used to treat neuromuscular disease characterized by very weak muscles and unusual tiredness (myasthenia gravis), paralytic ileus and postoperative urinary retention, reversal of neuromuscular blockade
Q. What class is pyridostigmine?
Pyridostigmine belongs to the group of medicines called parasympathomimetics
Q. Does pyridostigmine cause weight gain?
Pyridostigmine causing weight gain is very rare. However consult your doctor if you experience such side effect
Q. How does pyridostigmine work/ treat myasthenia gravis?
It works by inhibiting the enzyme called as acetylcholinesterase and thus allows free transmission of nerve impulses across the neuromuscular junction.