Information about Protamine sulfate
Protamine sulfate Uses
Protamine sulfate is used in the treatment of heparin overdose.
How Protamine sulfate works
Protamine sulfate is used to counteract the anticoagulant effect of heparin and is used to stop bleeding in patients caused by heparin.
Common side effects of Protamine sulfate
Hypersensitivity, Decreased blood pressure, Slow heart rate
Expert advice for Protamine sulfate
- Inform your doctor if you have undergone heart surgery, have diabetes and have received protamine insulin, are allergic to fish or have had a vasectomy or are infertile and may have antibodies to protamine, as you may be at an increased risk of experiencing allergic reaction to protamine.
- You will be monitored to confirm whether your blood clotting parameters are within normal limits if you are receiving multiple doses or prolonged administration of protamine.
- You may experience sudden fall in blood pressure, breathlessness or chest and abdominal pain when receiving protamine.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or think you may become pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Do not take if Patients is allergic to protamine sulphate or any of its ingredients.