Information about Protamine sulfate
Protamine sulfate uses
Protamine sulfate is used in the treatment of heparin toxicity.
How protamine sulfate works
Protamine sulfate is used to counteract the anticoagulant effect of heparin and is used to stop bleeding in patients caused by heparin.
Common side effects of protamine sulfate
Hypersensitivity reaction, Decreased blood pressure, Slow heart rate
Available Medicine for Protamine sulfate
- ₹49Gland Pharma Limited1 variant(s)
- ₹41 to ₹48Samarth Life Sciences Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹36Biological E Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹95Biological E Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Protamine sulfate
- Inform your doctor if you have undergone heart surgery, have diabetes and have received protamine insulin, are allergic to fish or have had a vasectomy or are infertile and may have antibodies to protamine, as you may be at an increased risk of experiencing allergic reaction to protamine.
- You will be monitored to confirm whether your blood clotting parameters are within normal limits if you are receiving multiple doses or prolonged administration of protamine.
- You may experience sudden fall in blood pressure, breathlessness or chest and abdominal pain when receiving protamine.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or think you may become pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Do not take if Patients is allergic to protamine sulphate or any of its ingredients.
Frequently asked questions for Protamine sulfate
Q. Is protamine sulphate the antidote for lovenox?
Yes. Protamine sulphate is used as an antidote in the case of overdose of lovenox.
Q. Is protamine an anticoagulant?
When administered alone, protamine has an anticoagulant effect. However, when it is given in the presence of heparin, a stable salt is formed and the anticoagulant activity of both drugs is lost