Information about Praziquantel
Praziquantel is used in the treatment of worm infections and schistosoma infections.
How praziquantel works
Praziquantel belongs to a class of medication called anthelmintics (anti-worm). It affects the permeability of the cell membrane thereby killing the worms..
Common side effects of praziquantel
Headache, Nausea, Vomiting, Abnormal liver function tests, Hair loss, Fever, Dizziness, Abdominal pain, Vertigo
Available Medicine for Praziquantel
- ₹341Taj Pharma India Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Praziquantel
- Inform your doctor if you have liver, kidney or heart problems or worm infection in the brain; history of seizures.
- Do not drive or operate machinery as praziquantel may cause sleepiness and may impair your ability to think or react.
- Use praziquantel with caution if you are an elderly patient.
- Praziquantel is not recommended in children below 4 years of age.
Frequently asked questions for Praziquantel
Q. Is Praziquantel an antibiotic?
No, Praziquantel is not an antibiotic
Q. Is Praziquantel over the counter/ safe for humans/ FDA approved?
Praziquantel is available only on prescription and is FDA approved. It is safe for humans at a dose and for a duration recommended by your doctor for your specific condition
Q. Does Praziquantel kill roundworm/ tapeworm/ hookworm/ whipworm?
Praziquantel is known to kill roundworm/ tapeworm/ hookworm. It is not known to kill whipworm.