Information about Praziquantel
Praziquantel is used in the treatment of worm infections and schistosoma infections.
How praziquantel works
Praziquantel belongs to a class of medication called anthelmintics (anti-worm). It affects the permeability of the cell membrane thereby killing the worms..
Common side effects of praziquantel
Headache, Nausea, Vomiting, Abnormal liver function tests, Hair loss, Fever, Dizziness, Abdominal pain, Vertigo
Available Medicine for Praziquantel
- ₹341Taj Pharma India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹128Western Remedies1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Praziquantel
- You have been prescribed Praziquantel to treat a variety of parasitic worm infections.
- It should be taken with food.
- If you are unable to swallow the whole tablet, it may be crushed or chewed and swallowed with a full glass of water.
- It can be harmful to an unborn baby. Do not take it during pregnancy or breastfeeding. Use birth control measures to prevent pregnancy while taking Praziquantel.
- Your doctor may monitor your blood counts and liver function before you start taking this medicine and regularly throughout your treatment.
- Avoid being near people who are sick or have infections. Inform your doctor if you develop signs of infection.
- Do not skip doses and finish the prescribed course, even if you start to feel better. Stopping it early may increase your risk of further infection.
Frequently asked questions for Praziquantel
Q. Is Praziquantel an antibiotic?
No, Praziquantel is not an antibiotic
Q. Is Praziquantel over the counter/ safe for humans/ FDA approved?
Praziquantel is available only on prescription and is FDA approved. It is safe for humans at a dose and for a duration recommended by your doctor for your specific condition
Q. Does Praziquantel kill roundworm/ tapeworm/ hookworm/ whipworm?
Praziquantel is known to kill roundworm/ tapeworm/ hookworm. It is not known to kill whipworm.