Information about Policosanol
Policosanol is used in the treatment of high cholesterol.
How Policosanol works
Policosanol belongs to the class of drugs called lipid modifying agents. It acts by decreasing the cholesterol production in liver thereby reducing the bad cholesterol (low-density lipoprotein or LDL) level in the blood.
Common side effects of Policosanol
Abnormal urination during the day, Dizziness, Fatigue, Increased appetite, Nosebleeds, Bleeding gums, Upset stomach
Expert advice for Policosanol
- Take it as per dose and duration suggested by the doctor.
- Take it with or without food.
- Your doctor may get regular blood tests done to monitor lipid levels, kidney function, and lung function while you are taking this medicine.
- Inform your doctor if you notice muscle pain or muscle weakness while you are taking this medicine.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning pregnancy or breastfeeding.