Information about Piracetam
Piracetam is used in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease, stroke, dementia in Parkinson's disease, age related memory loss and head injury.
How piracetam works
Piracetam belongs to class of medications called GABA (gamma amino butyric acid) analogues. It acts by protecting brain and nervous system against shortness of oxygen and it also affects various ion channels on nerve cell membrane..
Common side effects of piracetam
Nausea, Nervousness, Rash, Abdominal pain, Anxiety, Confusion, Depression, Diarrhoea, Hallucination, Headache, Increased muscular activity, Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping), Walking difficulties, Movement disorder, Sleepiness, Vertigo, Vomiting, Weakness, Weight gain
Available Medicine for Piracetam
- ₹152 to ₹540Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹80 to ₹263Micro Labs Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹50 to ₹225Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹73 to ₹269Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹59 to ₹286Shine Pharmaceuticals Ltd7 variant(s)
- ₹64 to ₹185Ipca Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹320Unichem Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹68 to ₹173Talent India4 variant(s)
- ₹60 to ₹165Icon Life Sciences5 variant(s)
- ₹84 to ₹150La Renon Healthcare Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Piracetam
- Do not take piracetam tablet/oral solution if you are allergic to piracetam, pyrolidone derivatives or any other ingredient of tablet/solution.
- Do not use piracetam if you have serious kidney problem; brain hemorrhage or bleeding problems; or Huntington’s disease (neurodegenerative genetic disorder that affects muscle coordination and leads to behavioral symptoms).
- Avoid using piracetam if you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
- Do not stop taking piracetam tablet/solution unless your doctor asks you to do so.
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery if you experience side effects like sleepiness, nervousness and depression after taking piracetam.
Frequently asked questions for Piracetam
Q. Is Piracetam natural?
Piracetam is not a naturally occurring substance
Q. Is Piracetam legal?
Piracetam is legal
Q. Is Piracetam a stimulant or addictive?
Piracetam is neither a stimulant, nor addictive
Q. Does Piracetam give you energy?
Piracetam can increase alertness and person may feel energetic
Q. Is Piracetam safe and effective?
Piracetam is relatively safe and effective if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Does Piracetam keep you awake or cause weight gain?
Piracetam can keep you awake and may cause weight gain
Q. Does Piracetam stop working?
If Piracetam stops working for you, do not stop taking it before consulting your doctor
Q. Does Piracetam need prescription?
Piracetam requires a prescription.