Information about Piracetam
Piracetam is used in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease, stroke, dementia in Parkinson's disease, age related memory loss and head injury.
How piracetam works
Piracetam is a nootropic medicine. It works by increasing the activity of a chemical messenger (acetylcholine) which improves communication between the nerve cells. It also protects the brain and nervous system against shortness of oxygen.
Common side effects of piracetam
Nervousness, Weight gain, Abnormality of voluntary movements
Available Medicine for Piracetam
- ₹152 to ₹594Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹88 to ₹288Micro Labs Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹59 to ₹286Shine Pharmaceuticals Ltd7 variant(s)
- ₹80 to ₹296Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹54 to ₹267Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹92 to ₹150La Renon Healthcare Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹68 to ₹185Talent India4 variant(s)
- ₹351Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹61 to ₹169Linux Laboratories4 variant(s)
- ₹71 to ₹204Ipca Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
Expert advice for Piracetam
- Do not take piracetam tablet/oral solution if you are allergic to piracetam, pyrolidone derivatives or any other ingredient of tablet/solution.
- Do not use piracetam if you have serious kidney problem; brain hemorrhage or bleeding problems; or Huntington’s disease (neurodegenerative genetic disorder that affects muscle coordination and leads to behavioral symptoms).
- Avoid using piracetam if you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
- Do not stop taking piracetam tablet/solution unless your doctor asks you to do so.
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery if you experience side effects like sleepiness, nervousness and depression after taking piracetam.
Frequently asked questions for Piracetam
Q. Is Piracetam natural?
Piracetam is not a naturally occurring substance
Q. Is Piracetam legal?
Piracetam is legal
Q. Is Piracetam a stimulant or addictive?
Piracetam is neither a stimulant, nor addictive
Q. Does Piracetam give you energy?
Piracetam can increase alertness and person may feel energetic
Q. Is Piracetam safe and effective?
Piracetam is relatively safe and effective if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Does Piracetam keep you awake or cause weight gain?
Piracetam can keep you awake and may cause weight gain
Q. Does Piracetam stop working?
If Piracetam stops working for you, do not stop taking it before consulting your doctor
Q. Does Piracetam need prescription?
Piracetam requires a prescription.