Information about Piperazine
Piperazine is used in the treatment of parasitic worm infections.
How piperazine works
Piperazine belongs to class of drugs called anthelmintic. It works by paralyzing the worms and making them to pass in the stool. It is effective against the intestinal nematodes roundworm (Ascaris lumbricoides), pinworm and threadworm (Enterobius vermicularis). Piperazine produces a neuromuscular block leads to muscle paralysis of the worms which are consequently dislodged and expelled in the faeces.
Common side effects of piperazine
Nausea, Headache, Vomiting, Dizziness, Abnormal liver function tests, Fever, Abdominal pain, Hair loss, Vertigo
Available Medicine for Piperazine
- ₹15Assam Chemical & Pharmaceutical Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹9 to ₹19Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹12Torque Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Piperazine
• Inform your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or become worse.
• Always washing all your clothes after treatment to prevent the recurrence of pinworms.
• Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
• Should nto be given to patients allergic to piperazine or any of its ingredients.
• Should not be given to patients who are suffering from kidney failure or epileptics (fits).
Frequently asked questions for Piperazine
Q. Is Piperazine available over the counter?
Piperazine is available on prescription only
Q. Does Piperazine make you hallucinate?
Yes, Piperazine may cause hallucinations especially in patients with kidney problems. Please consult your doctor if you experience such side effects.