Piperazine is used in the treatment of parasitic worm infections
How it works
Piperazine belongs to class of drugs called anthelmintic. It works by paralyzing the worms and making them to pass in the stool. It is effective against the intestinal nematodes roundworm (Ascaris lumbricoides), pinworm and threadworm (Enterobius vermicularis). Piperazine produces a neuromuscular block leads to muscle paralysis of the worms which are consequently dislodged and expelled in the faeces.
Common side effects
Headache, Vomiting, Dizziness, Abnormal liver function tests, Fever, Nausea, Abdominal pain, Vertigo
• Inform your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or become worse.
• Always washing all your clothes after treatment to prevent the recurrence of pinworms.
• Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
• Should nto be given to patients allergic to piperazine or any of its ingredients.
• Should not be given to patients who are suffering from kidney failure or epileptics (fits).
Frequently asked questions
Q. Is Piperazine available over the counter?
Piperazine is available on prescription only
Q. Does Piperazine make you hallucinate?
Yes, Piperazine may cause hallucinations especially in patients with kidney problems. Please consult your doctor if you experience such side effects.