Pioglitazone is used in the treatment of type 2 diabetes
How it works
Pioglitazone restores the body's ability to use insulin, lowering the blood sugar levels. Pioglitazone also decreases the amount of glucose absorbed from food in the intestine and decreases glucose production in the liver.
Common side effects
Blurred vision, Respiratory tract infection, Bone fracture, Numbness
- ₹47 to ₹76USV Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹49 to ₹118Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹49 to ₹134Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹42 to ₹77Systopic Laboratories Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹33 to ₹64Micro Labs Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹47 to ₹83Lupin Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹43 to ₹73Eris Life Sciences Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹49 to ₹60Mankind Pharma Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹45 to ₹80Ipca Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹39 to ₹98Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- Notify your doctor if you have liver disease.
- Notify your doctor if you have or ever had urinary bladder cancer.
- Pioglitazone does not help patients who have type 1 diabetes.
- Type 2 diabetes can be controlled with a proper diet alone or a diet along with exercise. A planned diet and exercising are always important when you have diabetes, even when you are taking antidiabetic medicines.
- Notify your doctor if you had a heart failure in the past.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Does pioglitazone cause hair loss?
No, pioglitazone does not cause hair loss. However, if you experience such side effects, consult your doctor
Q. Does pioglitazone cause bladder cancer or any other cancer?
In clinical studies, more people who took pioglitazone for more than one year developed bladder cancer as compared to those who did not take pioglitazone. It is recommended to consult your doctor about the risk of taking this medication if you have had bladder cancer in the past or have a history of passing blood in urine. No other cancer type has been linked with use of pioglitazone
Q. Does pioglitazone cause heart failure?
Pioglitazone can cause fluid retention, which may worsen or precipitate heart failure
Q. Is pioglitazone safe?
Pioglitazone is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor.