Information about Olmesartan Medoxomil
Olmesartan medoxomil uses
Olmesartan Medoxomil is used in the treatment of Hypertension (high blood pressure), Heart failure and prevention of heart attack and stroke.
How olmesartan medoxomil works
Olmesartan Medoxomil is an angiotensin receptor blocker (ARB). It relaxes the blood vessel by blocking the action of a chemical that usually makes blood vessels tighter. This lowers the blood pressure, allowing the blood to flow more smoothly to different organs and the heart to pump more efficiently.
Common side effects of olmesartan medoxomil
Dizziness, Headache, Nausea, Indigestion, Diarrhea, Stomach pain, Sore throat, Runny nose, Flu-like symptoms, Cough
Available Medicine for Olmesartan Medoxomil
- ₹25 to ₹163Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹95 to ₹156Micro Labs Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹102 to ₹263Lupin Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹59 to ₹162Eris Lifesciences Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹93 to ₹227Zydus Cadila3 variant(s)
- ₹167 to ₹297Alkem Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹105 to ₹179Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹81 to ₹195Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹97 to ₹173USV Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹62 to ₹206Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
Expert advice for Olmesartan Medoxomil
- Take it at the same time every day to help you remember to take it.
- It can make you feel dizzy for the first few days. Rise slowly if you have been sitting or lying down for a long time.
- Your doctor may get regular tests done to monitor the level of urea, creatinine, and potassium in your blood.
- Avoid taking anti-inflammatory medicines such as ibuprofen along with this medicine without consulting your doctor.
- It may increase the level of potassium in the blood. Avoid taking potassium supplements and potassium-rich foods such as banana fruit juice, coconut water, and broccoli.
- Do not take Olmesartan Medoxomil if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Do not stop taking it suddenly without talking to your doctor.
Frequently asked questions for Olmesartan Medoxomil
Q. How long does it take for Olmesartan Medoxomil to work?
You may notice a decrease in your blood pressure effectively within 2 weeks of starting Olmesartan Medoxomil. However, it may take about 8 weeks to see the full benefits of this medicine.
Q. At what time of the day should you take Olmesartan Medoxomil?
Your doctor may suggest to take your first dose before bedtime, considering that this medicine can make you feel dizzy. After the very first dose you can take Olmesartan Medoxomil at any time of the day. It is important to take this medicine at the same time every day.
Q. Can I feel dizzy after taking Olmesartan Medoxomil?
Yes, the use of Olmesartan Medoxomil can make you feel dizzy. This may occur when you suddenly get up from lying or sitting position. To lower the chance of feeling dizzy or passing out, rise slowly if you have been sitting or lying down.
Q. What are some lifestyle changes to make while using Olmesartan Medoxomil?
Making lifestyle changes while taking Olmesartan Medoxomil can boost your health. Avoid smoking, as smoking increases your risk of having a heart attack and stroke. If you are overweight or obese, try to lose weight. You should maintain a healthy diet by including fruits and vegetables in your meals. Regular exercise can make your heart strong and reduce the risk of a heart attack.
Q. Can Olmesartan Medoxomil cause weight gain?
No, Olmesartan Medoxomil does not cause weight gain. However, in very rare cases, chronic diarrhea with substantial weight loss may occur. If a patient develops diarrhea while taking Olmesartan Medoxomil and no other cause of diarrhea can be deduced, then the doctor may advise the patient to discontinue it immediately and recommend another medicine.
Q. What are the serious side effects of Olmesartan Medoxomil?
The serious side effects of Olmesartan Medoxomil include skin rash or itchiness, painful joints, fast heart beat, shortness of breath or tightness in the chest. Serious side effects may also include aching, tender or weak muscles not caused by exercise and swelling of the hands, feet or ankles. Olmesartan Medoxomil may also cause symptoms that may indicate high potassium levels in the blood, such as nausea, diarrhea, muscle weakness and change in heart rhythm. If you experience any of these symptoms, call your doctor immediately.
Q. Does Olmesartan Medoxomil have a diuretic?
Olmesartan Medoxomil does not have a diuretic. Olmesartan Medoxomil is a medicine used to lower high blood pressure. It belongs to a group of medicines called angiotensin receptor blocker (ARB). These medicines lower blood pressure by relaxing the blood vessels. When prescribed by a doctor, Olmesartan Medoxomil can also be combined with a diuretic for providing additional benefit in the reduction of blood pressure.
Q. For how long do I need to take Olmesartan Medoxomil? Is it safe to take long term?
You may have to take Olmesartan Medoxomil life long. Olmesartan Medoxomil controls high blood pressure but does not cure it. Do not stop taking it even if your blood pressure is well controlled. Olmesartan Medoxomil is generally considered safe to be taken for long term. In some cases, long-term use may adversely affect the kidneys and the kidneys may not function as they should. Therefore, to keep a track of how well your kidneys are working, your doctor may prescribe regular blood tests to check urea, creatinine and potassium levels.
Q. Can I take Olmesartan Medoxomil before surgery?
Your doctor may advise you to stop taking Olmesartan Medoxomil 24 hours before surgery. This is because Olmesartan Medoxomil can further reduce your blood pressure when used with anesthetics. So, tell your doctor that you are taking Olmesartan Medoxomil if you will be given general anesthetics (medicines that put you to sleep) or are scheduled to have any surgery.