Information about Olmesartan
Olmesartan is used in the treatment of increased blood pressure , heart failure, heart attack and diabetic kidney disease.
How olmesartan works
Olmesartan relaxes the blood vessels which lowers the blood pressure and also reduces the workload of the heart. As a result, the heart works more efficiently.
Common side effects of olmesartan
Fatigue, Dizziness, Orthostatic hypotension (sudden lowering of blood pressure on standing), Weakness, Vertigo, Anemia, Renal impairment, Increased potassium level in blood.
Available Medicine for Olmesartan
- ₹60 to ₹158Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹65 to ₹163Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹77 to ₹191Zydus Cadila3 variant(s)
- ₹49 to ₹147Eris Life Sciences Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹93 to ₹176Micro Labs Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹96 to ₹163Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹84 to ₹198Lupin Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹67 to ₹162Unichem Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹138 to ₹245Alkem Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹84 to ₹150USV Ltd3 variant(s)
Expert advice for Olmesartan
- Olmesartan may cause dizziness and lightheadedness. To avoid this, take the Olmesartan at bedtime, drink plenty of water and get up slowly after sitting or lying down.
- Avoid driving, if you feel dizzy after consuming Olmesartan.
- Avoid taking potassium supplements and potassium-rich foods such as banana and broccoli.
- Notify your doctor immediately if you are or planning to become pregnant.
- Olmesartan should be discontinued a day prior to the scheduled surgery.
Frequently asked questions for Olmesartan
Q. What is olmesartan medoxomil?
Olmesartan medoxomil is available as olmezest or Benicar is an angiotensin II receptor blocker. It is not beta blocker or ACE inhibitor
Q. Is olmesartan better than telmisartan or losartan?
No, the effects of olmesartan, telmisartan or losartan are similar but may vary upon individual response
Q. Is olmesartan a blood thinner / statin?
No, olmesartan decreases the pressure in the blood vessels and increases the amount of fluid removed from the blood by the kidneys
Q. Is olmesartan safe?
Olmesartan is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Does olmesartan cause impotence?
No, olmesartan does not cause impotence.