Information about Olmesartan
Olmesartan is used in the treatment of high blood pressure. Decreasing high blood pressure lowers the risk of heart attack and stroke.
How olmesartan works
Olmesartan is an angiotensin receptor blocker (ARB). It works by blocking the hormone angiotensin thereby relaxing blood vessels, allowing the blood to flow more smoothly and the heart to pump more efficiently.
Common side effects of olmesartan
Dizziness, Back pain, Sinus inflammation, Increased potassium level in blood
Available Medicine for Olmesartan
- ₹65 to ₹158Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹77 to ₹188Zydus Cadila3 variant(s)
- ₹65 to ₹245Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹49 to ₹147Eris Life Sciences Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹87 to ₹156Micro Labs Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹96 to ₹163Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹92 to ₹218Lupin Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹67 to ₹178Unichem Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹152 to ₹270Alkem Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹88 to ₹157USV Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Olmesartan
- Olmesartan can be taken with or without food but preferably be taken at the same time of the day.
- It is best to take the first dose before bed to reduce symptomatic hypotension.
- Olmesartan may cause the level of potassium in blood to go up. Avoid taking potassium supplements and potassium-rich foods such as banana and broccoli.
- Inform your doctor immediately if you have rapid swelling of the lips, tongue, and throat that may affect breathing.
- Inform your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with kidney or liver problems.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to conceive or breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Olmesartan
Q. What is Olmesartan medoxomil?
Olmesartan medoxomil is available as olmezest or Benicar is an angiotensin II receptor blocker. It is not beta blocker or ACE inhibitor
Q. Is olmesartan better than telmisartan or losartan?
No, the effects of olmesartan, telmisartan or losartan are similar but may vary upon individual response
Q. Is Olmesartan a blood thinner / statin?
No, Olmesartan decreases the pressure in the blood vessels and increases the amount of fluid removed from the blood by the kidneys
Q. Is Olmesartan safe?
Olmesartan is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Does Olmesartan cause impotence?
No, Olmesartan does not cause impotence.