Information about Olmesartan
Olmesartan is used in the treatment of high blood pressure.
How olmesartan works
Olmesartan is an angiotensin receptor blocker (ARB). It works by blocking the hormone angiotensin thereby relaxing blood vessels, allowing the blood to flow more smoothly and the heart to pump more efficiently.
Common side effects of olmesartan
Dizziness, Back pain, Sinus inflammation, Increased potassium level in blood
Available Medicine for Olmesartan
- ₹65Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹85 to ₹188Zydus Cadila2 variant(s)
- ₹49 to ₹162Eris Life Sciences Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹87 to ₹156Micro Labs Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹92 to ₹218Lupin Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹73 to ₹178Unichem Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹152 to ₹270Alkem Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹88 to ₹157USV Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹106 to ₹188Abbott2 variant(s)
- ₹146 to ₹260Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Olmesartan
- You have been prescribed Olmesartan to improve your blood pressure.
- Lowering blood pressure reduces chances of future heart attack & strokes.
- It may also be used to treat chronic (long-standing) heart failure.
- It protects kidney function, which is especially useful for people with diabetes or mild-to-moderate kidney diseases.
- Olmesartan can make you feel dizzy for the first few days. Take it preferably at bedtime and rise slowly if you have been sitting or lying down.
- Olmesartan may cause the level of potassium in blood to go up. Avoid taking potassium supplements and potassium-rich foods such as banana and broccoli.
- Do not take Olmesartan during pregnancy or breastfeeding. Tell your doctor if you become pregnant while taking Olmesartan.
Frequently asked questions for Olmesartan
Q. What is Olmesartan medoxomil?
Olmesartan medoxomil is available as olmezest or Benicar is an angiotensin II receptor blocker. It is not beta blocker or ACE inhibitor
Q. Is olmesartan better than telmisartan or losartan?
No, the effects of olmesartan, telmisartan or losartan are similar but may vary upon individual response
Q. Is Olmesartan a blood thinner / statin?
No, Olmesartan decreases the pressure in the blood vessels and increases the amount of fluid removed from the blood by the kidneys
Q. Is Olmesartan safe?
Olmesartan is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Does Olmesartan cause impotence?
No, Olmesartan does not cause impotence.