Information about Nicorandil
Nicorandil is used in the treatment of chest pain (angina).
How nicorandil works
Nicorandil is a vasodilator. It works by reducing the workload of the heart. As a result, heart muscle does not need as much blood and oxygen supply. This reduces the frequency and severity of angina attacks.
Common side effects of nicorandil
Headache, Nausea, Vomiting, Weakness, Dizziness, Flushing (sense of warmth in the face, ears, neck and trunk)
Available Medicine for Nicorandil
- ₹78 to ₹451Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹114 to ₹170Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹149 to ₹243Lupin Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹273 to ₹409Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹216 to ₹433Abbott4 variant(s)
- ₹130 to ₹393Emcure Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹60Nouveau Medicament Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹376 to ₹651Zydus Cadila2 variant(s)
- ₹340 to ₹380Lloyd Healthcare Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹97 to ₹130Aprica Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Nicorandil
- You have been prescribed Nicorandil to reduce attacks of chest pain (angina).
- You must continue to take it as advised, usually for a long time.
- Nicorandil may cause headaches. Drink plenty of water and take a suitable painkiller. Inform your doctor if it does not go away.
- Nicorandil may cause dizziness or sleepiness. Do not drive or do anything requiring concentration until you know how it affects you.
- Do not consume alcohol while taking Nicorandil as that may cause increased dizziness.
- Inform your doctor if you notice any sign of ulceration such as bleeding from the back passage, blood in vomit or black stools.
- Do not take Nicorandil in combination with medicines that are used to treat erectile dysfunction (eg. sildenafil) or high blood pressure as that can cause a major drop in blood pressure.
Frequently asked questions for Nicorandil
Q. What is Nicorandil used for?
Nicorandil is used in the prevention and treatment of chronic stable angina. It decreases the risk of acute coronary syndrome (chest pain due to the sudden reduced flow of blood to the heart) in patients with chronic stable angina.
Q. Does Nicorandil cause headache?
Yes, headache is a common side effect of Nicorandil. Talk to your doctor if you experience this side effect while taking this medicine.