Information about Nicorandil
Nicorandil is used in the treatment of chest pain (Angina).
How nicorandil works
Nicorandil reduces the workload of the heart. As a result, heart muscle does not need as much blood and oxygen supply. This reduces the frequency and severity of angina attacks.
Common side effects of nicorandil
Headache, Nausea, Vomiting, Weakness, Dizziness, Flushing (sense of warmth in the face, ears, neck and trunk)
Available Medicine for Nicorandil
- ₹78 to ₹410Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹114 to ₹170Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹136 to ₹194Lupin Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹249 to ₹372Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹196 to ₹433Abbott4 variant(s)
- ₹130 to ₹329Emcure Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹60Nouveau Medicament Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹342 to ₹592Zydus Cadila3 variant(s)
- ₹392Emcure Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹97 to ₹130Aprica Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Nicorandil
- Nicorandil reduces attacks of chest pain (angina). You must continue taking it as advised for a foreseeable future.
- May cause dizziness and lightheadedness. If this happens to you, do not drive or use machinery.
- Nicorandil may interact with other medicines (eg. sildenafil, tadalafil, vardenafil) and cause a major drop in blood pressure.
- Your doctor may adjust the dose depending upon the improvement in symptoms and presence of side effects such as hypotension (low blood pressure).
- Nicorandil may increase potassium levels in the blood. Avoid taking potassium supplements and potassium-rich foods such as banana and broccoli.
Frequently asked questions for Nicorandil
Q. What is Nicorandil?
Nicorandil belongs to the class of medicines known as potassium channel activator with nitric oxide-mediated vasodilating properties.
Q. What is Nicorandil used for?
Nicorandil is used in the prevention and treatment of chronic stable angina and in decreasing the risk of acute coronary syndrome in patients with chronic stable angina with risk factors.
Q. Can Nicorandil be used for lowering blood pressure?
No, it is not used to lower blood pressure. However, concomitant administration with blood pressure lowering drugs (vasodilators, alcohol) may decrease the blood pressure. Patients consult your doctor for the treatment of your high blood pressure.
Q. Does Nicorandil cause headache?
Yes, headache is a common side effect with Nicorandil. Talk to your doctor if you experience this side effect while taking this medicine.
Q. Is Nicorandil an ACE inhibitor?
No, Nicorandil is not an ACE (angiotensin-converting enzyme) inhibitor. It is a potassium channel opener which also has nitric oxide-mediated vasodilatory property.
Q. Is Nicorandil a beta blocker?
No, Nicorandil is not a beta blocker. It is a potassium channel opener which also has nitric oxide-mediated vasodilatory property.
Q. Is Nicorandil a calcium channel blocker?
No, Nicorandil is not a calcium channel blocker. It is a potassium channel opener which also has nitric oxide-mediated vasodilatory property.
Q. Is Nicorandil a nitrate?
No, Nicorandil is not a nitrate. It is a potassium channel opener which also has a nitrate moiety in its structure. It acts by dilating your blood vessels and is used in the treatment of conditions like angina pectoris.