Information about Misoprostol
Misoprostol is used in medical abortion and post-delivery bleeding.
How misoprostol works
Misoprostol increases contractions of the uterus to cause abortion. It can also prevent post-delivery bleeding due to poor contraction of the uterus.
Common side effects of misoprostol
Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhoea, Uterine bleeding , Infection following abortion, Uterine cramps
Available Medicine for Misoprostol
- ₹65Zydus Cadila1 variant(s)
- ₹35 to ₹66Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹49 to ₹50Lincoln Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹79Meyer Organics Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹23 to ₹75Cipla Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹76Mankind Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹19 to ₹67Bharat Serums & Vaccines Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹68Hindustan Latex Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹32Fourrts India Laboratories Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹62Zydus Cadila1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Misoprostol
- If you are taking Misoprostol orally, then it is best taken with food and do not take antacids that contain magnesium along with it. Ask your doctor for help in selecting a suitable antacid.
- Take Misoprostol only as prescribed by the doctor because in some cases, miscarriages caused by Misoprostol are likely to be incomplete which may result in serious medical complications, leading to hospitalization, surgery and possible infertility.
- Notify the doctor immediately if excessive bleeding occurs.
Frequently asked questions for Misoprostol
Q. Is Misoprostol safe?
Yes. Misoprostol is relatively safe if used as recommended. In case of any side-effects, consult your doctor
Q. Is Misoprostol available or sold over the counter?
No. Misoprostol is a prescription drug. It is not available or sold over the counter
Q. Is Misoprostol effective orally?
Yes. Misoprostol is effective orally
Q. Is Misoprostol available and legal in India?
Yes. Misoprostol is legally available in India
Q. Can I take Misoprostol with Advil, Vicodin, hydrocodone?
Misoprostol may be taken with Advil (ibuprofen), Vicodin (paracetamol and hydrocodone), and hydrocodone if prescribed by your doctor.
Q. Does Misoprostol cause weight gain?
There is no evidence of Misoprostol causing weight gain. If you notice any such symptoms, please consult your doctor.