Information about Mirtazapine
Mirtazapine is used in the treatment of depression.
How mirtazapine works
Mirtazapine increases the levels of chemical messengers in the brain that help in regulating the mood and treat depression.
Common side effects of mirtazapine
Sleepiness, Dry mouth, Increased appetite, Headache, Weight gain.
Available Medicine for Mirtazapine
- ₹63 to ₹168Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹54 to ₹179Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹54 to ₹163Alkem Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹45 to ₹108Unichem Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹52 to ₹85Icon Life Sciences2 variant(s)
- ₹43 to ₹141Talent India3 variant(s)
- ₹81 to ₹135Micro Labs Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹69 to ₹111Nusearch Organic5 variant(s)
- ₹51 to ₹171Kivi Labs Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹38 to ₹58Mayflower India2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Mirtazapine
- Do not start or continue the mirtazapine tablets if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to mirtazapine or any of the other ingredients of mirtazapine medication; If you are taking or have taken monoamine-oxidase (MAO) inhibitor within last 14 days.
- Avoid taking mirtazapine, if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Doctor’s advice should be considered in case of following disease conditions: liver or kidney disease, increased pressure inside the eye that causes visual problems (narrow-angle glaucoma), bipolar disorder (manic depression), fits (seizures or epilepsy), low blood pressure (hypotension), dizzy spells, high cholesterol or triglycerides, heart disease, chest pain (angina), a history of heart attack or stroke, or a history of drug abuse or suicidal thoughts.
Frequently asked questions for Mirtazapine
Q. Is mirtazapine an SSRI/ MAOI/opiate/ narcotic/ benzo/tricyclic antidepressant?
Mirtazapine is a tetracyclic antidepressant. It is not SSRI/ MAOI/opiate/narcotic
Q. Is mirtazapine addictive?
No, mirtazapine is not addictive. Patient should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use
Q. Is mirtazapine safe?
Mirtazapine is safe if used at prescribed dose and duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Can I take mirtazapine forever?
No, patient should take mirtazapine for the given duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Can I take mirtazapine for sleep with citalopram?
No, Patient should not take mirtazapine with citalopram because it may cause serious side effects. Always consult your doctor regarding its use
Q. Can you take mirtazapine for sleep?
Mirtazapine is specifically used to treat major depressive disorder. Patient should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use
Q. Can I take mirtazapine with sertraline/ citalopram/ fluoxetine/ antibiotics/ zopiclone/ amitryptline/ tramadol/ diazepam/ ambien/ Xanax?
Taking other medicines may alter the effects of mirtazapine. Always consult your doctor for the change of dose regimen or an alternative drug of choice that may strictly be required
Q. Does mirtazapine cause weight gain/memory loss/ insomnia/ make you eat more/ make you constipated?
Mirtazapine may cause these side effects. However, consult your doctor if you experience any of these symptoms
Q. Does mirtazapine treat anxiety/lower seizure threshold?
Mirtazapine may be used to treat anxiety but not to lower the seizure threshold. Care should be taken in patients with seizures
Q. Does mirtazapine contain benzodiazepine?
No, it does not contain benzodiazepine.