Information about Mifepristone
Mifepristone is used in medical abortion.
How mifepristone works
Mifepristone blocks the effects of progesterone, a natural female hormone which is needed for the pregnancy to sustain. Without this hormone, the lining of the uterus (womb) breaks down as it does during a menstrual period and stops the growth of the pregnancy.
Common side effects of mifepristone
Nausea, Vomiting, Uterine cramps, Diarrhoea, Infection following abortion, Uterine bleeding
Available Medicine for Mifepristone
- ₹405Mankind Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹325Bharat Serums & Vaccines Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹318Hindustan Latex Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹548Akumentis Healthcare Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹357 to ₹370Fourrts India Laboratories Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹397Zydus Cadila1 variant(s)
- ₹87 to ₹337Alkem Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹500Jagsonpal Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹699 to ₹799Pharmanova India Drugs Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹398Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Mifepristone
- In case of heavy and prolonged bleeding, or if the expulsion has occurred before you took prostaglandin, you should contact the doctor immediately to ensure complete evacuation.
- If pregnancy continues or expulsion is incomplete, you will be offered another method for terminating the pregnancy.
- Do not take mifepristone If you are allergic (hypersensitive) to the active substance mifepristone or prostaglandin (if required to be taken together) any of the other ingredients of the medicine.
- Because mifepristone may pass into breast milk and be taken in by your baby, you should stop in case you were breastfeeding once you have taken the treatment.
Frequently asked questions for Mifepristone
Q. Can you take mifepristone with water?
Misoprostol can be ingested orally with water
Q. Is mifepristone and misoprostol available/ legal in India?
Yes,it is available in India,but it should only be used as per doctor's advice
Q. Can I take ibuprofen with mifepristone?
Mifepristone may increase the blood levels and effects of ibuprofen, even after you have stopped taking mifepristone for a while.You may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications.