Information about Metronidazole
Metronidazole is used in the treatment of bacterial infections and parasitic infections. It is used in infections of the brain, reproductive system, gastrointestinal tract, skin, vagina, and other areas of the body.
How metronidazole works
Metronidazole is an antibiotic. It kills the bacteria and other microorganisms that cause infections by damaging their DNA.
Common side effects of metronidazole
Headache, Dryness in mouth, Nausea, Glossitis, Metallic taste, Stomatitis (Inflammation of the mouth), Muscle pain
Available Medicine for Metronidazole
- ₹7 to ₹20Abbott4 variant(s)
- ₹4 to ₹17Alkem Laboratories Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹14Claris Lifesciences Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹13Surya Pharmaceutical Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹4 to ₹11Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹12 to ₹64Makers Laboratories Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹46 to ₹75Jagsonpal Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹90Tetramed Biotek Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹10Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹24Fresenius Kabi India Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Metronidazole
- Metronidazole treats infections caused by bacteria and parasites.
- It may cause side effects like nausea, stomach upset, and a metallic taste in the mouth.
- Metronidazole use in a high dose or for a prolonged time increses risk of side effects such as nerve damage. Take it only as prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not drink alcohol during or for 2-3 days after treatment with this medicine. You may develop nausea, vomiting, flushing and headache.
- Inform your doctor if you have a liver disease. Your dose may need to be adjusted in severe liver disease.
Frequently asked questions for Metronidazole
Q. Can the use of Metronidazole cause metallic taste?
Yes, Metronidazole may cause a temporary metallic taste. This metallic taste can be reduced by chewing sugar-free gum or mints, brushing teeth after the meals and by staying hydrated.
Q. What if I take more than the recommended dose of Metronidazole?
If you have swallowed more than the recommended dose of Metronidazole then you should immediately contact your doctor or report to the nearest hospital. Overdose of Metronidazole may cause loss of appetite, metallic taste, headache, dizziness, insomnia or drowsiness.
Q. Can I stop taking Metronidazole when I feel better?
No, do not stop taking Metronidazole and complete the full course of treatment even if you feel better. Your symptoms may improve before the infection is completely cured. Hence, if you stop taking the medicine before completing the course, your infection may come back. Consult your doctor before you stop taking Metronidazole and follow their advice.
Q. Why it is harmful to drink alcohol while using Flagyl?
Alcohol should be strictly avoided while taking Flagyl and for at least 3 days after completely stopping the medicine. Drinking alcohol can cause an unpleasant reaction (Disulfuram reaction) with symptoms such as stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, headache, flushing or redness of the face.