Information about Methotrexate
How Methotrexate works
Methotrexate is an immunosuppressant. In rheumatoid arthritis, it works by decreasing the activity of the body's immune system. This decreases swelling, reduces pain and stiffness, and improves function. In psoriasis, it works by slowing down the rapid growth of skin cells.
Common side effects of Methotrexate
Nausea, Vomiting, Loss of appetite, Indigestion, Abdominal pain, Increased liver enzymes, Stomatitis (Inflammation of the mouth)
Available Medicine for Methotrexate
FolitraxIpca Laboratories Ltd
₹33 to ₹35213 variant(s)
MextWallace Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
₹33 to ₹2877 variant(s)
₹19 to ₹1059 variant(s)
BiotrexateBiochem Pharmaceutical Industries
₹49 to ₹10265 variant(s)
OncotrexSun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd
₹45 to ₹3545 variant(s)
₹47 to ₹1214 variant(s)
MerexIntas Pharmaceuticals Ltd
₹601 to ₹10932 variant(s)
MethocelCelon Laboratories Ltd
₹35 to ₹9045 variant(s)
MeditrexOverseas Healthcare Pvt Ltd
₹86 to ₹2134 variant(s)
RemtrexAlkem Laboratories Ltd
₹42 to ₹7134 variant(s)
Expert advice for Methotrexate
- Methotrexate helps decrease joint swelling, pain, and stiffness.
- It may also be used for the treatment of severe psoriasis.
- Take it once a week, on the same day every week.
- Drink plenty of liquids to stay hydrated while taking this medication.
- Always take folic acid as advised by your doctor. This will help lessen the side effects of this medicine.
- It may take 6 to 8 weeks for Methotrexate to work. Keep taking the medication as prescribed.
- Your doctor may get regular blood test done to monitor your kidney function, liver function and level of blood cells in your blood.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while taking this medicine as it may increase the risk of side effects.
- It can be harmful to an unborn baby. Avoid pregnancy for at least 6 months after your last dose.