Information about Megestrol
Megestrol is used in breast cancer and Endometrial cancer. It is also used for treating appetite and weight loss in patients with advanced cancer or HIV.
How megestrol works
Megestrol is a progestin (female hormones). It works in patients with breast cancer and endometrial cancer by lowering certain hormones produced in tumours that are responsible for causing pain. It is not clear how Megestrol treats appetite and weight loss.
Common side effects of megestrol
Edema (swelling), Abdominal bloating, Anxiety, Irritability, Depression, Muscle pain
Available Medicine for Megestrol
- ₹311Samarth Life Sciences Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹225 to ₹810Alkem Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹801Neon Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹230 to ₹700Alniche Life Sciences Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹209United Biotech Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹825Aureate Healthcare Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Megestrol
- Inform the doctor before taking megestrol if you have a history of thrombophlebitis (blood clots) or a suffering from liver or kidney disease, diabetes or adrenal gland disorder.
- You should use megestrol with caution if you are an elderly patient as it may cause decreased liver, renal or heart functions.
- Take precautions as megestrol may interfere with the normal menstrual cycle (period) in women.
- Seek medical emergency if you develop any allergic reaction like swelling of lips, face and tongue, skin rash, difficulty breathing while taking megestrol.
Frequently asked questions for Megestrol
Q. Is Megestrol safe?
Megestrol is safe if it is taken at a particular dose, duration and indication as prescribed by the doctor
Q. Is Megestrol a steroid/ chemo drug?
Megestrol is a steroid and also used in chemotherapy of breast cance
Q. Is Megestrol acetate a controlled substance?
Megestrol is not a controlled substance
Q. Is Megestrol cytotoxic?
Megestrol is a progestational agent or a synthetic form of the female sex hormone progesterone. Its anti-neoplastic effect against breast cancer is exerted by inhibition of pituitary gonadotrophin production (type of hormone released from the pituitary gland) and resultant decrease in estrogen secretion, and to some extent by direct cytotoxic effect on tumor cells
Q. Does Megestrol stop bleeding?
Megestrol stops unusual heavy bleeding from the uterus (dysfunctional uterine bleeding).