Megestrol is used in contraception
How it works
Megestrol is a progestational agent or a synthetic form of the female sex hormone progesterone. It works by decreasing the estrogen secretion and to some extent by direct cytotoxic effect on tumor cells.
Common side effects
Adrenal insufficiency, Rash, Vaginal discharge, Headache, Dizziness, Back pain, Increased appetite, Pain in extremity, Decreased libido, Abdominal distension, Cushing syndrome, Vomiting, Sleepiness, Nausea, Edema, Abdominal pain, Lower abdominal pain, Breast pain, Hair loss, Fatigue, Acne, Hot flushes, Thrombophlebitis, Diarrhoea, Irregular menstrual cycle, Cushingoid syndrome, Increased blood pressure, Depression, Mood changes, Nervousness, Constipation, Increased glucose level in blood, Breathing difficulty
- ₹283 to ₹996Samarth Life Sciences Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹214 to ₹772Alkem Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹230Alniche Life Sciences Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹750Aureate Healthcare Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- Inform the doctor before taking megestrol if you have a history of thrombophlebitis (blood clots) or a suffering from liver or kidney disease, diabetes or adrenal gland disorder.
- You should use megestrol with caution if you are an elderly patient as it may cause decreased liver, renal or heart functions.
- Take precautions as megestrol may interfere with the normal menstrual cycle (period) in women.
- Seek medical emergency if you develop any allergic reaction like swelling of lips, face and tongue, skin rash, difficulty breathing while taking megestrol.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Is megestrol safe?
Megestrol is safe if it is taken at a particular dose, duration and indication as prescribed by the doctor
Q. Is megestrol a steroid/ chemo drug?
Megestrol is a steroid and also used in chemotherapy of breast cance
Q. Is megestrol acetate a controlled substance?
Megestrol is not a controlled substance
Q. Is megestrol cytotoxic?
Megestrol is a progestational agent or a synthetic form of the female sex hormone progesterone. Its anti-neoplastic effect against breast cancer is exerted by inhibition of pituitary gonadotrophin production (type of hormone released from the pituitary gland) and resultant decrease in estrogen secretion, and to some extent by direct cytotoxic effect on tumor cells
Q. Does megestrol stop bleeding?
Megestrol stops unusual heavy bleeding from the uterus (dysfunctional uterine bleeding).