Information about Linagliptin
Linagliptin is used in the treatment of type 2 diabetes.
How linagliptin works
Linagliptin increases the amount of insulin released by the pancreas, which in turn lowers the blood glucose levels.
Common side effects of linagliptin
Hypoglycaemia (Low blood sugar level) in combination with insulin or sulphonylurea, Headache, Nasopharyngitis.
Available Medicine for Linagliptin
- ₹450Boehringer Ingelheim1 variant(s)
- ₹450Lupin Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Linagliptin
- Linagliptin is a well tolerated and safe anti-diabetic drug and does not cause very low blood sugar levels and weight gain.
- Take Linagliptin with water at any time of the day with or without food. Do not chew or crush the tablets.
- You would be at an increased risk of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar level) when insulin and sulfonylureas are also given along with, a dose adjustment may be needed. Do not change the dose yourself.
- Inform your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with kidney or liver problems.
- If you experience severe joint pain or allergic reactions (skin rash, swelling of the face, lips, tongue and throat which causes difficulty in breathing), stop taking the medicine and inform your doctor.
Frequently asked questions for Linagliptin
Q. Is linagliptin safe?
Linagliptin is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is linagliptin better than sitagliptin?
Linagliptin and sitagliptin belong to same class of drugs (DPP-4 inhibitor) with similar action, but their effect may vary upon individual response
Q. How is linagliptin excreted?
Linagliptin is mainly excreted in stools and less in urine
Q. Is linagliptin available in India?
Yes, linagliptin is available in India with brand name as Trajenta
Q. What is linagliptin and for which treatment used for?
Linagliptin belongs to a group of medications called dipeptidyl peptidase-4 (DPP-4) inhibitors, and used in addition to diet and exercise for the treatment of type-2 diabetes.
Q. Is linagliptin generic?
Linagliptin is generic name; however, linagliptin is not available in a generic form