Labetalol is used in the treatment of angina, arrhythmias, heart attack and increased blood pressure .
How it works
Labetalol blocks the action of certain chemical messengers on the heart and blood vessels. This effect reduces heartbeat, blood pressure, and strain on the heart following a heart attack.
Common side effects
Nausea, Headache, Fatigue, Dizziness, Palpitations, Diarrhoea, Constipation, Abdominal pain, Slow heart rate, Breathlessness
- ₹147 to ₹988Samarth Life Sciences Pvt Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹76 to ₹198Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹122Wockhardt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹123 to ₹284Mercury Healthcare Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹126Meyer Organics Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹108 to ₹327Neon Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹269Celon Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹280Troikaa Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹120Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹76Corona Remedies Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- Labetalol may cause dizziness and lightheadedness. To avoid this, get up slowly after sitting or lying down.
- The Labetalol may affect your blood sugar and cover up the symptoms of low blood sugar if you have diabetes.
- Labetalol may reduce blood flow to your hands and feet, causing them to feel cold. Smoking may worsen this effect. Dress warmly and avoid the use of tobacco.
- Consult your doctor whether to continue Labetalol before any scheduled surgery.
- It is not the first-choice treatment for high blood pressure according to the latest guidelines, except if you have a heart failure or heart disease.
- Adults over the age of 65 may be at greater risk for the side-effects.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Is labetalol a blood thinner/ diuretic/ vasodilator/ water pill/ addictive?
Labetalol is not a blood thinner/ diuretic/ vasodilator/ water pill/ addictive. It is a beta blocker used for reduction of blood pressure
Q. Can I take labetalol with ibuprofen/ tylenol/ benadryl/ aspirin/ tums/ paracetamol/ aleve/ Sudafed/ phentermine?
Labetalol is not known to interact with Benadryl (anti-allergy)/ tums (antacid)/ Sudafed (cough medication)/ phentermine (appetite suppressant). Labetalol is known to interact with ibuprofen (pain killer)/ tylenol (pain killer) / aspirin (pain killer)/ paracetamol/ aleve (pain killer). Labetalol interacts with a variety of drugs and hence the doctor's advice must be strictly followed on taking any drug along with it
Q. Does labetalol cause blood sugar/weight gain/affect heart rate/insomnia/weight loss/ constipation/ frequent urination?
Labetalol is known to cause blood sugar/ weight gain/ affect heart rate. It is not usually known to cause insomnia/ weight loss/ constipation/ frequent urination. If any side effect is observed while on therapy with labetalol please inform the doctor immediately.