Information about Labetalol
Labetalol is used in the treatment of chest pain (angina), arrhythmias, heart attack and hypertension.
How labetalol works
Labetalol blocks the action of certain chemical messengers on the heart and blood vessels. This effect reduces heartbeat, blood pressure, and strain on the heart following a heart attack.
Common side effects of labetalol
Nausea, Headache, Fatigue, Dizziness, Palpitations, Diarrhoea, Constipation, Abdominal pain, Slow heart rate, Breathlessness
Available Medicine for Labetalol
- ₹147 to ₹988Samarth Life Sciences Pvt Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹76 to ₹198Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹122Wockhardt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹123 to ₹284Mercury Healthcare Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹126Meyer Organics Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹108 to ₹327Neon Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹269Celon Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹280Troikaa Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹120Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹76Corona Remedies Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Labetalol
- Labetalol may cause dizziness and lightheadedness. To avoid this, get up slowly after sitting or lying down.
- The Labetalol may affect your blood sugar and cover up the symptoms of low blood sugar if you have diabetes.
- Labetalol may reduce blood flow to your hands and feet, causing them to feel cold. Smoking may worsen this effect. Dress warmly and avoid the use of tobacco.
- Consult your doctor whether to continue Labetalol before any scheduled surgery.
- It is not the first-choice treatment for high blood pressure according to the latest guidelines, except if you have a heart failure or heart disease.
- Adults over the age of 65 may be at greater risk for the side-effects.
Frequently asked questions for Labetalol
Q. Is labetalol a blood thinner/ diuretic/ vasodilator/ water pill/ addictive?
Labetalol is not a blood thinner/ diuretic/ vasodilator/ water pill/ addictive. It is a beta blocker used for reduction of blood pressure
Q. Can I take labetalol with ibuprofen/ tylenol/ benadryl/ aspirin/ tums/ paracetamol/ aleve/ Sudafed/ phentermine?
Labetalol is not known to interact with Benadryl (anti-allergy)/ tums (antacid)/ Sudafed (cough medication)/ phentermine (appetite suppressant). Labetalol is known to interact with ibuprofen (pain killer)/ tylenol (pain killer) / aspirin (pain killer)/ paracetamol/ aleve (pain killer). Labetalol interacts with a variety of drugs and hence the doctor's advice must be strictly followed on taking any drug along with it
Q. Does labetalol cause blood sugar/weight gain/affect heart rate/insomnia/weight loss/ constipation/ frequent urination?
Labetalol is known to cause blood sugar/ weight gain/ affect heart rate. It is not usually known to cause insomnia/ weight loss/ constipation/ frequent urination. If any side effect is observed while on therapy with labetalol please inform the doctor immediately.