How it works
Common side effects
- Irbesartan may cause dizziness and lightheadedness. To avoid this, take the Irbesartan at bedtime, drink plenty of water and get up slowly after sitting or lying down.
- Avoid driving, if you feel dizzy after consuming Irbesartan.
- Avoid taking potassium supplements and potassium-rich foods such as banana and broccoli.
- Notify your doctor immediately if you are or planning to become pregnant.
- Irbesartan should be discontinued a day prior to the scheduled surgery.
- Your doctor may recommend a change in the lifestyle to lower your blood pressure. It may include:
- Consume fruits, vegetables, low-fat dairy products, and reduce saturated-total fat.
- Reduce daily dietary sodium intake as much as possible, ideally to 65 mmol/day (1.5 g/day sodium or 3.8 g/day sodium chloride).
- Regular aerobic physical activity (at least 30 minutes/day, most days of the week).
Frequently asked questions
Q.Is irbesartan an alpha /a beta blocker/ calcium channel blocker/an ace inhibitor/a statin/ diuretic/ nitrate?
No. Irbesartan is an angiotensin II receptor blocker
Q.Is irbesartan safe?
Yes. Irbesartan is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q.Is irbesartan and losartan the same?
No. Both are different drugs of the same class; however, they differ in their pharmacokinetic profile
Q.Can I take ibuprofen with irbesartan?
Use of ibuprofen with irbesartan may reduce the effects of irbesartan in lowering blood pressure. In addition, if this combination is taken frequently, it may affect the kidney function
Q.Can I take paracetamol with irbesartan?
Yes. You can take paracetamol with irbesartan
Q.Can I take aspirin with irbesartan?
Use of aspirin with irbesartan may reduce the effects of irbesartan in lowering blood pressure. In addition, if this combination is taken frequently, it may affect your kidney function
Q.Does irbesartan lower heart rate?
Yes. Irbesartan may lower your heart rate
Q.Does irbesartan cause constipation/ weight gain/ hair loss/ erectile dysfunction / impotence/ diarrhea/ ringing in the ears/ depression?
No. Irbesartan does not cause any of the above side effects. However, if you experience such side effects please consult your doctor immediately.