Information about Infliximab
Infliximab is used in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, psoriasis, psoriatic arthritis, ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease.
How infliximab works
Infliximab is a monoclonal antibody that blocks a protein in immune system called TNF (tumor necrosis factor) that causes inflammation (pain and swelling) in joints.
Common side effects of infliximab
Nausea, Headache, Pain, Sinus inflammation, Upper respiratory tract infection, Infusion reaction, Abdominal pain, Viral infection
Available Medicine for Infliximab
- ₹32000Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹41039Janssen Pharmaceuticals1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Infliximab
- Infliximab is injected into the vein (intravenous infusion) once every 6-8 weeks. The normal dose is based on your body weight.
- Some people feel better quite quickly after receiving the injection while others may take longer. Keep taking your medication.
- Infliximab could make it harder for you to fight infections. It is best to stop taking Infliximab if you have a fever or think you have an infection, or you have been given antibiotics to treat an infection.
- Have a tuberculosis skin test & chest x-ray done before starting Infliximab.
- Get blood tests done regularly to keep a track of your arthritis and make sure that Infliximab is not affecting your blood counts.
Frequently asked questions for Infliximab
Q. Is Infliximab a disease modifying antirheumatic drug, a steroid, chemo drug?
Yes Infliximab is a disease modifying antirheumatic drug. It is not a steroid or chemo drug
Q. Is Infliximab dangerous/hazardous or safe?
Infliximab is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Can I take antibiotics with Infliximab?
Infliximab may interact with antibiotic. Do consult your doctor before you take antibiotic while on Infliximab treatment
Q. Does Infliximab cause weight gain, hair loss, make you tired, affect fertility?
Yes, Infliximab can cause weight gain, hair loss and make you tired. Infliximab does not affect fertility
Q. Does Infliximab cause cancer?
Infliximab can increase the risk of developing cancer.