Information about Infliximab
Infliximab is used in the treatment of ankylosing spondylitis, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease.
How infliximab works
Infliximab blocks the action of certain chemical messengers that are responsible for inflammation, swelling and redness associated with certain joint diseases.
Common side effects of infliximab
Nausea, Headache, Pain, Sinus inflammation, Upper respiratory tract infection, Infusion reaction, Abdominal pain, Viral infection
Available Medicine for Infliximab
- ₹32000Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹41039Janssen Pharmaceuticals1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Infliximab
- Do not start infliximab if you have infection, abnormal skin opening (fistulae), any serious heart, lung or neurological disease, in past tuberculosis or fungal infection, cancer, are heavy smoker, recently had vaccine or BCG instillation for treatment of cancer, have taken infliximab in past.
- Seek immediate medical attention if you get signs of infection including fever, cough, flu-like signs, red or hot skin, wounds or dental problems, feel unwell, allergic reaction, suffer from heart, liver, lung or nervous system problems, immune system disorder called lupus, low blood count.
- Make sure that your child has taken all vaccinations before taking infliximab.
- Use effective contraceptive measures while on infliximab treatment.
- Do not drive or operate heavy machineries if you feel dizzy after taking infliximab.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Infliximab
Q. Is Infliximab a disease modifying antirheumatic drug, a steroid, chemo drug?
Yes Infliximab is a disease modifying antirheumatic drug. It is not a steroid or chemo drug
Q. Is Infliximab dangerous/hazardous or safe?
Infliximab is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Can I take antibiotics with Infliximab?
Infliximab may interact with antibiotic. Do consult your doctor before you take antibiotic while on Infliximab treatment
Q. Does Infliximab cause weight gain, hair loss, make you tired, affect fertility?
Yes, Infliximab can cause weight gain, hair loss and make you tired. Infliximab does not affect fertility
Q. Does Infliximab cause cancer?
Infliximab can increase the risk of developing cancer.