Information about Imipramine
Imipramine is used in the treatment of depression and bed-wetting. It is used in patients intolerant of or unresponsive to alternative treatment options for depression.
How imipramine works
Imipramine increases the levels of chemical messengers in the brain that help in regulating the mood and treat depression.
Common side effects of imipramine
Sleepiness, Blurred vision, Constipation, Weight gain, Dryness in mouth, Difficulty in urination, Increased heart rate, Orthostatic hypotension (sudden lowering of blood pressure on standing)
Available Medicine for Imipramine
- ₹10Abbott1 variant(s)
- ₹10 to ₹30Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹57Abbott1 variant(s)
- ₹8 to ₹27Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹9 to ₹25Talent India2 variant(s)
- ₹8 to ₹22Baroda Pharma Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹8 to ₹24La Pharmaceuticals2 variant(s)
- ₹8 to ₹25Psychotropics India Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹8 to ₹29Shine Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹8Kivi Labs Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Imipramine
- The main dose should be taken at night as this drug may produce drowsiness or sleepiness.
- It can take 4 to 6 weeks for Imipramine to start working.
- You should continue the treatment for at least 6 months after you feel better to stop depression from coming back.
- If your doctor asks you to stop Imipramine, you should reduce the dose slowly over 4 weeks. You should not discontinue it abruptly.
- Avoid driving or operating machinery as it may decrease alertness.
- Avoid consuming alcohol when taking the Imipramine, as it may cause excessive drowsiness and calmness.
- The addiction/dependence potential of Imipramine is very less.
- It may be extremely dangerous in overdose.
Frequently asked questions for Imipramine
Q. Is Imipramine a monoamine oxidase inhibitor/ anticholinergic/ tricyclic antidepressant/benzodiazepine?
Imipramine belongs to a class of medication called tricyclic antidepressants. It is not a monoamine oxidase inhibitor/ anticholinergic/ benzodiazepine
Q. Is Imipramine addictive?
No, Imipramine is not addictive
Q. Is Imipramine sedative?
It had sedative effect, due to its antihistaminergic effect
Q. Is Imipramine good for anxiety?
Yes, Imipramine may be used for the treatment of anxiety (panic disorder).