Imipenem + Cilastatin
Information about Imipenem + Cilastatin
Imipenem + cilastatin uses
Imipenem+Cilastatin is used in the treatment of severe bacterial infections.
How imipenem + cilastatin works
This is a combination of two medicines: Imipenem and Cilastatin. Imipenem is an antibiotic. It works by preventing the formation of the bacterial protective covering which is essential for the survival of bacteria in the human body. Cilastatin is dehydropeptidase I inhibitor which blocks the activity of an enzyme (dehydropeptidase I) that causes breakdown of Imipenem. Hence, it helps Imipenem stay active in your body for a longer period of time.
Common side effects of imipenem + cilastatin
Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhea, Rash
Available Medicine for Imipenem + Cilastatin
- ₹1604 to ₹1950MSD Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹726 to ₹2965Cipla Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹1883 to ₹2258Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹332 to ₹869Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹729Lupin Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹1584Zydus Cadila1 variant(s)
- ₹1395United Biotech Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹1166Micro Labs Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹511 to ₹2640Alkem Laboratories Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹1141 to ₹2326Emcure Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Imipenem + Cilastatin
- Imipenem + Cilastatin is used to treat severe bacterial infections, including those acquired in hospital and those involving many different types of bacteria.
- It is given by a drip into a vein (intravenous infusion) over 20 to 60 minutes.
- Tell you doctor if you are allergic to penicillin as this medicine should be avoided or used with caution in penicillin allergy.
- Your doctor may monitor your liver and kidney function while you are having treatment with this medication.
- Diarrhea may occur as a side effect but should stop when your course is complete. Inform your doctor if it doesn't stop or if you find blood in your stools.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to conceive, or breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Imipenem + Cilastatin
Imipenem + Cilastatin
Q. For how long is Imipenem+Cilastatin used?
Duration of treatment with Imipenem+Cilastatin depends on the severity of your infection, which will be decided by your doctor.
Q. How long does Imipenem+Cilastatin take to work?
Usually, Imipenem+Cilastatin starts working soon after taking it. However, it may take some days to kill all the harmful bacteria and make you feel better.